Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Farewell to thee, beloved NCC-1701 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Farewell to thee, beloved NCC-1701
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNN (The National Network) aired Star Trek III: The Search for Spock tonight. Had I known about it ahead of time, I definitely would have watched it. However, I did catch the final hour of the movie. More to the point, I witnessed the destruction of the Enterprise.

Now, I've watched The Search for Spock many times. I helped wear out my mom's betamax copy of the movie. I since the destruction sequence more times than I could count using my hands, feet, and the appendages of the people near me. This time, though, was a bit different. I must be getting a bit more insightful in my "old age."

The destruction of the Enterprise was clearly an emotion scene. It touched me a lot since I grew up on The Original Series and the TOS movies. I cannot begin to think about how it affected the people who grew up in the 1960's and watched and nurtured the ship for twenty years. This clearly ranks near the top of the list of enduring Star Trek moments (right next to the death of Spock, in my opinion).

The Enterprise had become a member of the Star Trek family with an importance as high as the cast. And here, in a two minute sequence, she died in a blaze of glory. She died so that James Kirk and his loyal crew and friends could save another member of their family. To echo Kirk from the ending of the movie, "The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many."

The scene was eerily beautiful. Her caregivers had abandoned her. It almost seemed like she willingly gave herself up to be used to trap the Klingons onboard her fiery soul and send them to Hell. For a brief second between the departure of her family and the arrival of her captors, she was alone in the universe. At peace, actually. When her captors arrived at the bridge, she started speaking to them. She crisply counted off the second remaining until her own death.

The Enterprise seems to be so at peace and wholly supportive of her ultimate fate. When Kirk, Scott, and Chekov set her destruct sequence, there is no delay, no pause, no real emotion. But there is a forcefulness to the words. She doesn't speak as a soul resigned to her fate. She seems to be making this course of action her decision. She willingly gives herself up. And in the ten-seconds down to her death, she sounds almost happy to know that she is losing her battle to give her family the chance to "turn death into a fighting chance to live."

The destruction of the original Enterprise is a very emotional and well-scripted and well-choreographed scene. This is something that will be sorely lacking when her successor, the NCC-1701-D, is destroyed years later. The original Enterprise made a dignified exit on the big screen. Her destruction had a purpose to it. The Enterprise-D's death was cold and served little to advance the story or conclude his adventures, sadly.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her.

Ships are always "her."

Anyway, I agree. The -D's death was stupid and pointless. I loved that ship, and I don't think the -E fills her place.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now it just gimmick, with no impact. I know it's been said, but did anyone feel the same kind of emotion when the Defiant blew up as they did when the Enterprise did? No. Nor did I for the E-D, and I liked that ship. Berman simply wanted to pave the way for his own type of Enterprise as quickly as possible. So gone was the majestic Roddenberry Enterprise, replaced by the sleek ultra-powerful Sovereign-class with teh quantim torpz!!

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was 9 when ST3 came out. I still remember gasping when the ads ran...the white text on black that read "The final voyage of the Starship Enterprise" following by a shot of the bridge exploding. Wow.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So gone was the majestic Roddenberry Enterprise, replaced by the sleek ultra-powerful Sovereign-class with teh quantim torpz!!"

Although amusing Hobbes, calling the Ent-D the "Roddenberry" is taking possessionism a bit too far.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Anduril
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree Siegfried. I had been up for about 40 hours assisting my wife who was giving birth and had just gotten home and turned the tube on to veg a bit before going to bed. (long enough sentence?) Got the tube on just as they found spock on Genesis. Watched for a bit and decided I really needed to crash but then remembered what was going to happen in a bit and had to stay up just to watch that sequence. I felt the same way I felt watching it the first time in the theatres. That OMG feeling of finality.
IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siegfried, that was a wonderful post. To give her this 'humanity' - it ads a whole new dimension to the scene! (Even not having seen it in a while (OK, last year) )

Andrwe

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember that scene...I cried when I saw the ship's upper saucer section collapsed taking the NCC-1701 on the hull into the fire.

But I do agree that after Gene's death, the starship death scene's we've seen were pointless and cold. The Enterprise-D's didn't make me cry, only wonder how the hell did the fish do in the tanks. The Defiant's pissed me off since there was no real reason for destroying the damn ship if not for the shock value and high ratings.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading that the only reason TPTB wanted the Enterprise-D destroyed was because they were simply tired of the same ship for 7 years and wanted a new one (that, and also because they needed a saucer crash scene). However, I agree that the D's destruction was as pointless as Kirk's death.

I too watched TSFS on TNN last night, and felt exactly the same way I did when I first saw the Enterprise blow up. You just can't shake the feeling, the way it was presented.

I will admit that I still had some of that old feeling when the Defiant was destroyed. I thought the scene worked well. However, TPTB then went and totally ruined whatever dramatic effect the ship's death caused by hauling out an exact duplicate two episodes later. It was as if the ship had never been destroyed at all, just so they could re-use Defiant stock footage for the final ep. A cheap cop-out, in my opinion.

Don't even get me started about the whole Delta Flyer bullshit...

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think there was another reason for the E-D's destruction: the Galaxy-class and its detailing just didn't look good on the big screen. They tried to tart it up, added the mosaic texturing and so on (and maybe it's a reason for: the extra bridge stations - the bridge looked to spacious and empty; and the much-darker lighting as well).

Then, they designed a ship that didn't look like it was wallowing in space, with a lot more surface detail (and a darker interior lighting layout too, although that could just have been habit, going the way DS9 was going). Since then, all the new classes have generally had more exterior detail.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the great commentary by Siegfried. You probably got more out of that sequence than the writers intended!

Ships are always "her."

I've been told Russian ships are referred to as "he", but I cannot confirm this.

the Galaxy-class and its detailing just didn't look good on the big screen.

I thought it actually fared pretty well on the big screen. It seemed much more massive and sleek than what we usually see on our TV sets. The new bridge was nice, and the new details on the model were nice. I didn't care for the "lights out" mood the whole ship had during the movie, however. Later, Voyager cuts lights whenever they go to Red Alert status. Why?!

Since then, all the new classes have generally had more exterior detail.

Well, the Constitution refit seemed pretty nice on the big screen, and it was made before these new classes were even thought about. In addition, the Excelsior looks nice, and it has a pretty sleek and "clean" exterior. A good ship design is determined by its overall shape, not by how much surface detail they can put on it is it not?

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Ace ]

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they blew up the Delta Flyer, I cried...

Yes, the way they destroyed the E-D was inadequate, along with Kirk. Those two are the things that doomed Generations to mediocrity.

And German ships are referred to as 'him', like their homeland. Father Deustchland as opposed to Mother Russia

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ships are always 'her.'"

Until they build a boat w/ a vagina, I think I'm going to stick w/ the neuter pronoun, personally...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shuttlebays?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps