Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » My Timeline-In-Progress (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My Timeline-In-Progress
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing my own timeline regarding TOS, TAS, and the TOS Movies. Here's what I have so far:

2265- "Where No Man Has Gone Before" (TOS) Kirk's five-year mission begins halfway into 2265.

into
2267- First Season TOS, from "The Corbomite Maneuver" to "Operation: Annihilate!" Second year of the 5-year mission.

into
2268- Second Season TOS, from "Catspaw" to "Assignment Earth" Third year of the 5-year mission.

into
2269- Third Season TOS, from "Spectre of the Gun" to "Turnabout Intruder" Fourth year of the 5-year mission.

into
2270- First Season TAS, from "Beyond the Farthest Star" to "Jihad" Fifth year of 5-year mission.

2270- Second Season TAS, from "The Pirates of Orion" to "The Counter-Clock Incident" 5-year mission ends halfway into 2270.

to
2272- Kirk is Chief of Starfleet Operations for 2 1/2 years.

to
2272- Eighteen month refit of USS Enterprise NCC-1701.

2272- Star Trek: The Motion Picture

to
2278- Second 5-year mission by Kirk and Enterprise crew. (This would have been the Star Trek: Phase II TV series.)

Here are some questions I have:

1. What is the source for the datings of the films after TMP? Okuda does not give a reason for putting TWOK in 2285 in the Chronology. Is this from Paramount? Is it possible TWOK and took place in 2282, as it was released in 1982?

2. Where do the dates from STIV, V, and VI come from?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was because Kirk stated in TWOK that he hadn't seen Khan for over fifteen years. Of course, if he just said fifteen instead of "over" fifteen, then your 2282 date would be correct. (IIRC, "Space Seed" took place in 2267 according to the Chronology)

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But he DID say 15 years. He didn't say "over." He said "There's a man out there I haven't seen in 15 years, who's trying to kill me."

So I guess TWOK does take place in 2282.

So that puts it like this:

2282-TWOK
TSFS

But now what about IV-VI? Where do their dates come from?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was working on this subject as well. I'll post my timeline tomorrow.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Monkey, I would say TVH came directly after TSFS, as it was after all a kind of trilogy, all being set back to back. So IV would be around 2282-83 (if the we hypothetically say that TWOK did indeed take place in 2282).

Lol, I kinda pretend TFF did not take place at all!

TUC may probably have been set in the late 2280s. And Generation we know was set in 2293, 78 years before TNG in that film, which was in 2371.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In TUC, McCoy states that he was the Enterprise's CMO for about 27 years (I think). The date for TUC should reflect that.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would find it surprising is TWOK was in 2282 as McCoy give Kirk a bottle of Romulan ale dated 2283.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That can be explained away, Shik. Romulan calender system or just a bottle that went from the vineyard to McCoy (perhaps it was the very end of 2282) or something like that. McCoy's line:

"Yeah, well it takes this stuff awhile to ferment." could easily be interpreted as sarcasm.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Yeah, that bottle does throw a wrench into the whole idea of TWOK being in 2282.

The 2293 date for TUC is from the fact that McCoy says he's served on the Enterprise for 27 years, having replaced Dr. Mark Piper in 2266.

Yeah, I'd agree that TWOK, TSFS, and TVH should all take place within the same year. Possibly TFF takes place within that same year also, as it seems to begin right after TVH. (It's kinda more of a quadrilogy! )

The question though is which year? WHile there's no real evidence that contradicts Okuda's dates, we know that he was wrong on TMP, by a year. Should we just "adjust" his other dates to fit with a 2272 TMP?

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, we don't even know if 2272 is the correct date. We only know that 2271 isn't. Anything between 2272 and 2283 is free game, as long as it involves 2.5 years of downtime for Kirk just prior to the movie.

Since Kirk's rank does not change in the movies 1-3, and the others only receive one-step promotions between 1 and 2, there's no pressing need to insert extra years between those movies for reasons of rank progression. And uniforms could change overnight, hairstyles overforthnight (save for Kirk, who can swap in a second, and Chekov, who can't change his hair even when moving to parallel universes).

IMHO, the primary reason to put a buffer zone between 1 and 2 (as well as to move 2 to 2284 or later) is the "Generations" tidbit that suggests that Kirk retired from Starfleet prior to 2, or at least held a sabattical or otherwise distanced himself from SF nine years before 2293. This holiday must have come before 2 and after 1 - it can't come during the 2-5 quadrology, and between 5 and 6 is too late.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Romulan ale bottle to be postdated makes no sense. It's best to assume ST2 took place in that same year that was stamped on the bottle, and that's what McCoy's joke was about...
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An observation-
In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, the stardate for the Genesis tape is 7130.40, a year before the movie. This stardate would place the first test of Genesis before V'Ger's encounter. On the other hand, stardates are planet and ship subjective. This could explain the many discrepancies we see in Star Trek.
A few examples-
38325.30 Major disease on Obi VI. Year-2296. "The Child"
40877.20 Battle of Maxia Zeta. Year-2354. "The Battle"
The stardate for Tuvok's birthdate. Year-2264. "Unicomplex Zero, Part Two". I remember this stardate being 3xxxx.xx

My timeline-
2254 "The Cage"
2265 "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
2266 to 2269 The Series
2270 USS Enterprise NCC-1701 returns home.
2272 TMP (This date is supported by a comment uttered by Pres. Jaresh Enyo that Earth faced a planet wide crisis a hundred years before. He was president in 2372.)
2286 Movies 2 to 5
2293 Movie 6

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My version of the timeline

This is still a draft, the final version will eventually end up on my site.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, because the whole "ocean-eating flying space turd" incident didn't even RATE on the Crisis-O-Meter.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of the calamities-of-the-week in the TOS movies, I think Starfleet could have classified the TMP and TUC ones as not worthy of a planetary emergency. The TMP crisis was to be solved in space, or not solved at all. And Starfleet would want to keep the civilians out of the TUC one. TWoK and TSfS did not have major crises that would have affected Earth directly, nor did TFF or Generations.

Even the Borg attacks would not require a state of emergency, since what good would it do? Those problems would once again be solved in space, or then not solved.

Only TVH would register in the catastr-o-meter, really.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps