Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Cretak's first name?

Author Topic: Cretak's first name?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Senator Cretak supposedly has a first name that was mentioned in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges". Anyone remember the name? Or could it have been something else than a first name?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Bernd that her full name was Kimara Cretak, I think that's right ....

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Fact Files have the same name.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. That sheds a new light on the whole Vulcan/Romulan name issue.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would be a shame to lose the whole 'unpronouncable first name' structure we have now. Maybe Kimara is the simplest name in the Romulan/Vulcan cultures. Like the Rom/Vul version of 'Al' or 'Ed'. Or like Al and Ed really are, a simplified version of an unpronouncable first name. Or it isn't a real Rom/Vul name at all and she has some other species' influence from somewhere.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, Kimara Cretak need not be her full name. There could be an unpronounceable first name coming before Kimara, left out exactly because it is unpronounceable. A random alien would know her as Senator Cretak; a privileged acquaintance as Kimara Cretak; a true friend as G'ngh-achamyion Kimara Cretak; and a lover as Shaaja G'ngh-achamyion Kimara Cretak (you don't reveal our zeroeth name lightly!).

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Would be a shame to lose the whole 'unpronouncable first name' structure we have now.

We lost ist a long time ago. Don't you remember Alidar Jarok?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's only the Vulcans that have the tongue-tying names? The Romulan language could have evolved into something a little more easier for humans to learn than the Vulcan language.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though logic would dictate that the Vulcans (being close w/ humans for so long) would evolve pronouncable first names and the Romulans (being so isolationist and xenophobic) would stay unpronouncable.

Maybe they took a concious departure just for the fact of seperating themselves from their Vulcan cousins.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I always wondered about:
What if the 'unpronouncable' name is actually some sort of mental name? Some kind of mental individual name-concept given to Vulcan babies by mom and dad through a mind-read session (mindreading isn't Read-Only, is it?).

So, Spock's 'first name' would be some kind of though only he and his closest family know and understand, and is as such undescribable.

The Romulans seem to have lost most of their mental capabilities (did we ever see a Romulan nerve pinch or a Romulan mind-read?), so that could be the reason for them having 'proper' first names.

Just a theory, of course.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.. that actually makes sense..
thats the best explanation ive heard in years.
It would also explain why some Romulans keep their names so private, if the were evolved from names that couldnt be spoken. Adds a subtext to the Spock/Romulan Commander scene, doesnt it?

i like it a lot better than the book from the 70s that said Spock's first name is Xtmprsnftwld. I remember that off the top of my head even though i lost the book years ago.. how sad

or maybe his name IS Lyle

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... Have we forgotten that Spock's mother was able to somewhat pronounce her married name after a lot of practice? Not only is the "unpronounceable" name an actual spoken name, but it's a surname, not a given name (which is "first" and "last" in their culture, who knows?).
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read the sig.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that after years of being telepathically bonded, she could make out the thought pattern necessary. Probably why she looked so sly when she said it...

*and thats got to be one of my faovrite signatures!*

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps