Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TTWT-observations

Author Topic: TTWT-observations
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a classic TOS episode on DVD recently, "The Trouble with Tribbles". I noted very briefly some notes.

*Like the USS Enterprise NCC-1701, space station K-7 has a distinct sound. This can be heard in Chief Lurry's office.
*The Klingon battlecruiser is a 100 km from the station and an 'orbiting' starship. This in direct contradiction to the visuals seen in "Trials and Tribble-ations".
*In the barroom brawl, there are three male individuals. They each wear, respectively, a cadet uniform, a mining uniform ("The Devil in the Dark"), and a third uniform. This third uniform is worn earlier by the crew of the Antares and later by the crew of the SS Beagle.
*K-7 is a very large station. Her measurement by length is at least 3 times that of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701. If the measurements were followed exactly, the infamous shuttlecraft NCC-K7 would not be seen much at all in Bay 2.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*yawns in interest* Do tell.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The D7 was orbiting in 'Trials..' Where's the contradiction again?

I often wondered why the Starfleet extras who werent from Enterprise didnt join the fight.. maybe it was a ship-specific brawl. And I theorize the cadet hadnt taken his course in barroom brawls so didnt know how to proceed

Maybe it was a 3 deck shuttle..

[ September 17, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We ask ourselves, "Will the new series violate TOS?". If this is the general response to TOS, why do we bother asking the question?
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because i would have so much free time i wouldnt know what to do with if i wasnt making sure that the ENT vulcans act the same as the TOS vulcans

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the barroom brawl, there are three male individuals. They each wear, respectively, a cadet uniform, a mining uniform ("The Devil in the Dark"), and a third uniform.

Yeah, I noticed the cadet in Trials and Tribblations and wondered if this was from the original episode or something that had been digitally superimposed. I had thought Shore Leave was the only episode that featured the cadet uniform.

On a side note, Shore Leave also indicates that the cadet uniforms featured the black collar before the standard duty uniforms.

quote:
This third uniform is worn earlier by the crew of the Antares and later by the crew of the SS Beagle.

Isn't that just the old style Cage/WNMHGB uniform?

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody ought to do a *complete* uniform page someday.

Not just all the "hero" uniforms, and the umpteen movie variants, but also the obscure ones, like TOS miners or colonists, TNG anthropologists and freighter crews, and the whole spectrum of Klingon costumes as well. There's always greater completeness to aspire to.

I never realized the cadet shirt was in "TwtT". I guess TOS wardrobe was extensively recycled. But how much of the TNG wardrobe was similarly reused? Did the uniforms of the freighter crew from "Legacy" feature again somewhere? Were they related to the freighter crew uniforms in "The Passenger", perhaps? Or were those more closely related to the scientist uniforms from "Home Soil", "Who Watches the Watchers" or "Devil's Due"? Spike, step on it - we need a *completely* complete page, and we need it yesterday!

Timo Saloniemi

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately most of them aren't in the Fact Files up to now.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek: The Magazine has done some pretty good brekdowns of the Starfleet uniforms. i don't have most of those issues, but still...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
Member # 709

ST:magazine is good at publishing art the art department already has around

But, they are the geniuses who gave us Type XII (!) phasers, so i wont knock them

Ive found a bunch of mistakes in their uniform stuff though, i should start a thred with observations of that

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed alot of errors on their ship diagrams, but I've always thought they did pretty good with the variations of the various era uniforms. Plus, the style of the illustrations are way cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

capped
Member # 709

Far superior to the 'uniforms of corpses' feature in the color Encyclopedia. I especially enjoy how, despite the art departments proficiency with many other peices of Adobe software they were able to use Illustrator to butcher a perfectly good piece of paper in the book to present images such as 'woman in pre-TOS uniform and broken spine' and 'Vulcan with his face burned off in DS9 uniform'
Woman
Vulcan

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that, unless I'm crazy, the "Commanding officer's duty uniform, female (series version)" looks like Denise Okuda, and the "Commanding officer's wraparound (second season version)" looks like Gene Roddenberry...
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'm pretty sure the really cool uniform illustrations in Star Trek: The Magazine are also done with Illustrator (at least that's what the lady who e-mailed me back told me), albeit with a much highler level of proficiency than the constuction paper cutouts in the encyclopedia.

Yah, the encyclopedia pictures look like something my roommate would turn in back in art school...

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps