Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Tomed incident

Author Topic: Tomed incident
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious to as what the alledged Tomed incident between the Romulans and the Federation is. I remember the Data said something about it when the Romulan ship hailed the Enterprise in "The Nuetral Zone", Data said something like "this is the first time that the ARomulans have come out of isolation since the Tomed incident." or something like that. Can anyone help me here? *looks around anxiously and runs from room screaming*

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no other canon information about the Tomed incident AFAIK. But IIRC the novel Vulcan's Heart (or Vulcan's Forge) explains what happened.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*runs into room*
I read Vulcan Heart, heck, I even did a book report on it, and there was little plausible info the Tomed incident, at least to what it was and what happened.
*runs screaming out an airlock*

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the Tomed Incident the one that Picard described as "Pearl Harbor"-ish in terms of a sneak attack? Or is that something else?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know.

You could also mean the Talarian attack on some Starbase.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Station Salem One, though it wasn't the Telarians who attacked. Er...or Telerians. Or possibly the Tellarians. None of them.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the Tholians, wasn't it?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many alien races with T-ian names.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Is the Tomed Incident the one that Picard described as "Pearl Harbor"-ish in terms of a sneak attack? Or is that something else?"

My dusty old TNG memories circa 1996 (which is possibly when I last saw these episodes) are saying to me that the "sneak attack" reference is from either The Enemy or The Defector.

From what I remember, the Tomed Incident hasn't been mentioned on-screen at ALL since The Neutral Zone.

I'd also like to submit the following idea, which I stole from somewhere. I think that every episode after Yesterday's Enterprise shows a different time-line, one in which the Romulan period of isolation never happened (or, at least, stopped happening after the Ent-C's destruction). There's been loads of references to what the Romulans have been up to in the 24th century, including periods of time when the Federation shouldn't have known what they were up to.

It's the Ferengi problem all over again...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Liam. Your theory does make a lot of sense.

As far as the Tomed Incident is concerned, there are only three facts I could come up with:

1. This event, in 2311, between the Federation & the Romulans, caused thousands of Federation deaths.

2. Liam's theory notwithstanding, the event caused the aforementioned Romulan isolationism.

3. It was not the "sneak attack"; that was Salem One.

4. The episode "The Pegasus" confirms that no Federation cloaking technology had been used since the Tomed Incident. Does this mean that Starfleet had been using cloaking devices before 2311, and the Tomed Incident occurred because of it? That's the feeling Picard seemed to engender when he stated that the Romulans could go to war with the Federation over the Pegasus's cloak.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooo...I see an entry in that "Unseen Frontiers" book. Or a thread on the creativity forum.

And, according to the Encyclopeida, Salem One was the Pearl Harbor-ish attack, but the date, attacker, or details of it are unknown.

Another idea...

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The episode "The Pegasus" confirms that no Federation cloaking technology had been used since the Tomed Incident. Does this mean that Starfleet had been using cloaking devices before 2311, and the Tomed Incident occurred because of it? That's the feeling Picard seemed to engender when he stated that the Romulans could go to war with the Federation over the Pegasus's cloak."

Er, no it doesn't. I don't think. It's been a while, but I don't recall any mention of the Tomed Incident at all.

From what I recall, Picard's line was

"The Treaty of Algeron expressly forbids the development of cloaking tecnology."

And Pressman says something like "And that treaty has given the Romulans a tactical advantage for the last 50 years."

From that, the Treaty Of Algeron was signed in 2320. Which is just about close enough to be after the Tomed Incident. But it's not a definite link, by any means.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only other information that can be gleaned about Salem One is that in an early version of the script of "Family", Jack Crusher was supposed to mention that an ancestor of the Crusher family died there, but the continuity-friendly reference (which would really seem pointless in that conversation) was deleted well before the script was even typed up for copying.

And was replaced with a new version where, for some reason , Wesley's father constantly freaked out and ran from the room screaming in a distracting and aggravating fashion, even though he wasnt in a room, but in a computer data-environment. Puzzling, yet stupid..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could swear I've heard the Tomed Incident mentioned outside of "The Neutral Zone," but I can't remember any...strange.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps