Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TNG on DVD: Seas. I -> IV by 10/02! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TNG on DVD: Seas. I -> IV by 10/02!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first TNG DVD box set is being rumoured to make its debut on March 4 next year with a host of special features.

According to the R2 Project's sources, the Region 2 (European) set will consist of seven DVDs in unique packaging. There is a possibility that the Region 1 (North American) release will consist of seven separate Amaray cases.

Special episode commentaries by stars Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) and Jonathan Frakes (William Riker) will be included amongst an hour of extra features, according to the site. Additional featurettes will be entitled 'The Launch,' 'Cast,' 'Production' and 'Highlights.'

The report also indicated the status of possible future TNG DVD releases, suggesting that seasons two, three and four could hit stores in May, July, September and October 2002 respectively.

Please remember that none of this has been officially confirmed by Paramount and should be treated as you would any rumour. The original article can be found here at the Region 2 Project.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a quick note, I wouldn't be too surprised at a region 2 release happening before region 1. For some reason (and despite the fact that we used to get worse DVDs than the US), we seem to get all the TV shows on DVD before you. All of Friends is available on DVD. Buffy up to season 3 is available. It might be due to us having a bigger video market for that sort of thing (Buffy box sets, Trek videos etc sell far better over here than in the US).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Friends on DVD?! WTF?!

I hope they release season boxed sets like stargate. (which you euro bastards seem to have more of)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, yeah. All of Friends on DVD. The season 6 episodes are also 2 whole minutes longer than the broadcast versions. Woo.

You could always buy the region 2 ones, y'know. Region hacking really isn't hard. And play247.com have very reasonable prices.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah ha!

I'm thinking of buying a DVD player some time in the near future and would like something cleared up. What are all the different regions and what do I have to do in order for my player to accept them all (assuming it doesn't already when I buy it)?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know too. I want my DVD player to be multiregional. Since I am in Australia - and we get the slowest and suckiest releases of DVDs around.

Australia is Region 4. US/Canada Region 1. UK Region 2. The others?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dvd-rom is region free, but i want to wait for the US release ( i hear the Stargate DVDs released there have horrible grain)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a function of the film they used originally, not the DVD.
TorgaDaxIV
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for TorgaDaxIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is a bit off topic, but does anyone (psyliam) know if cheers will be coming on dvd soon or at all? thanks!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I haven't heard anything about it. Season boxes as mainstream video releases only really started happening a couple of years ago, and DVD season boxes are even newer.

Saying that, I'm sure I saw season 1 of Frasier on DVD, so it wouldn't be unlikey.

Region 2 is all of Europe. And a region 2 DVD would actually have a better picture than a region 1 one, as it would be PAL, rather than NTSC.

(As an aside, you'd have to make sure your TV can display the correct picture format).

"What are all the different regions and what do I have to do in order for my player to accept them all (assuming it doesn't already when I buy it)? "

There are two things. There's software region hacks, and hardware ones. Software ones are little tricks built into the DVD player. Some require you to press certain buttons on the remote, for example. You can normally find all te region hacks listed on web-sites.

The other thing you can do it hardware hack it. Any of you ever play copied Playstation games? No? Okay then..

I think it works like this. Someone opens up your case. They cut a couple of wires. They do up the case. They charge you �30. It's not illegal, but it will void the warrenty. Find your local computer shop (not the high-street chain shop, the small one with staff who know what they are talking about), and ask them about DVD hacking. They might point you in the right direction.

--------------------

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm (originally) from a PAL region myself, but as far as I know, both have their up and downsides.

Since regular film runs at a speed of 24 frames/sec, while PAL video runs at 25 frames/sec, every PAL movie (including Star Trek) has to be speeded up 4% to get it to 25 frames per sec, which means your movie is 2m 24sec shorter for every hour of the original. Also, if you're running music, the pitch tends to increase.

NTSC video, on the other hand runs at 30 frames per sec. What happens here is that the first frame of film would lasts three NTSC frames, the second two, the third three and so forth. On the average, there is no speed increase (actually 3.6 sec per hour, but I won't go into that) -- however, since some frames are longer timewise than others, there are minor timing irregularities which people say are noticable during pans.

Is there something else I should be aware of?

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Actually, I think I've noticed that. But it only very rarely occurs. And it's mainly on mid-90s stuff. I think they've improved the conversion tecnology, possibly.

You missed out that PAL is higher resolution than NTSC. And that I rule.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
May, July, September and October 2002

Hmmm. If that's true, with Season I coming out in March, then that means II, III, IV AND V will be out by October. Sweet.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get a load of these cases for the region 2 TNG release: http://www.cinemabilia.de/detail/katnr/245988/picxl

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those look cool. I'm not sure I understand what those small ones are suppoesd to be. But they look cool. Won't fit quite as nicely on my shelf as some discs, though.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps