Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TAS References (Not a Canon Debate) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TAS References (Not a Canon Debate)
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems right about them not knowing about Klingons being able to cloak, cause, well if you watch ST:III I don't think they even suspected Klingons being the culpruts of the distruction of the Grissom.

And it was Sulu who seemed to identify the ship (seems like Sulu might be a bit of a Klingon buff/expert!?!)

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that really bugged me about ST3 was that Sulu and Kirk are watching the viewer, and Kirk's the only one who thinks something is funny about moving stars. Um, hello, Sulu, don't you steer the ship? Shouldn't you be aware of basic stuff like: STARS DON'T MOVE?!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't Tim. Please don't.

I imagine it went like this:

Original scene:

Sulu: Admiral! Those stars are moving! It could be a cloaked ship!

Kirk: Duh! Right! Er, what me do?

*arguments with director*

Sulu: Golly Admiral, the screen looks funny, but I'm stoopid

Kirk: Well young helmsman. It's farly obvious to me that there's a cloaked ship out there.

Sulu: jee wizz Admiral, you're right. I wish I was just like you.

Actually, I'd forgotten about the Romulan commander calling it a "cloak". It was still used slightly haphasardly, IIRC. And none of Kirk's lot said the term. It was only with "The Enterprise Incident" that everyone's dictionaries had been upgraded with the full term "cloaking device".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Don't Tim. Please don't."

Eh?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you were going to point out that, tecnically, stars do move around, just really slowly.

But in this case you were the bigger man. I bow to you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I knew what he meant, and didn't even think to say that.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's not what it was. There was a quick BOP flash that gave the ship away. Darn visible effects of neutrino surges...

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the effect was probably exaggerated for the benefit of the viewers. If you'll notice, other times (as in the original "Balance of Terror" and in TUC and later) there is no visible distortion.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitpicks:
1. IKS Klothos was commanded by Kor before the introduction of cloaking technology. This was why the venerated commander spoke about hiding his cruiser in the em fields of a planet. (Much like Lt. Riker did with the USS Potemkin in a battle with an unspecified enemy. "Peak Performance")
2. "That Which Survives" was a Star Trek story set on a Kaladan outpost. There were no Romulans in that story.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That Which Survives" he mentioned because it had Kirk asking
Kirk: "Could it be a Romulan ship, using their cloaking device?"

Of course, whatever Kirk was asking about was not the Romulans, but he still said that in the episode. It seems he only thought Romulan ships could have cloaks at that point, or he would have
said

Could it be a Romulan or Klingon ship, using their cloaking device?

But then, he could have been generalizing. oh well

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an observation/question - I'm a bit lost, but last night, I caught, funly enough, The Enterprise Incident... it was on another channel STRAIGHT after The Voyage Home! What a coincidenc! Anyway - the whole aim of what Kirk and Spock were doing seemed to be stealing the NEW Romulan Cloaking Device... So was this a continuity gaff... what was going on in The Balance of Terror...

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew,

In The Balance of Terror, Federation outposts on the Romulan Neutral Zone are being attacked and destroyed. The Enterprise's mission is to determine what is destroying them, which they quickly learn is the work of a Romulan ship equipped with a previously unknown-of 'cloaking device' --- Kirk works his wonders and out-manuevers the Romulan ship, causing the Romulan commander to finally destroy his own ship rather then be caught. It's during this mission that Romulans are discovered to be an off-shoot of the Vulcan race (which leads to conflict between Spock and -- I think -- Lt. Styles -- not sure if it's the same Styles as in ST3, tho).

I think that about covers it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we all knew that.

For the benefit of the third season viewers who might not have seen 'Balance of Terror', 'The Enterprise Incident' featured Kirk and Spock not quite remembering that episode, and being surprised that the Romulans had a cloaking device (as if they were encountering it for the first time) in that episode. That is the continuity gaffe. Its more of just an awkward conversation though. Kirk was like whats that? and Spock was like its some sort of cloaking device! and everyone looked surprised.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I have seen both episodes, so they did act as if they didn't know what a cloak was in TEI and found out that it was indeed a cloak in BoT?

But they knew that the Romulans had Cloaks for Spock and Kirk to trap themselves to able to get them to get the Cloak. Maybe it was a NEW type of cloak? Kirk didn't know what one looked like - and had to go by the reaction of the Romulan officer to know what it was. Scotty knew at least the fundamentals of a cloaking device to know how to get it to work.

Andrew

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing in "The Enterprise Incident" suggested that the cloaking device was unknown, though it did suggest that the particular cloaking device that Kirk and Spock were retreiving was new.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps