Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Trek Xmas gifts? Yay or Nay? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Trek Xmas gifts? Yay or Nay?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balaam: I remember how in the mid 1980s, wearing a Batman t-shirt, one with the TV logo, was considered sort of retro-hipster ironic cool. Then after the movies came out, wearing a black Batman shirt was considered a sign of mindless devotion to multinational corporate consumer culture.

How is Trek seen now by the culture at large? With greater distance, has TOS now acquired some kind of retro cool? Is Voyager only for geeks? I don't live in the US now, so I'd like to know.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I livein the U.S. and even I do not know the answer to that question. I do know that it's cool to hate Voayger though.
IP: Logged
StarFire
Member # 748

- posted      Profile for StarFire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Haven't ever really got anything Trek for Christmas before. Got Insurrection on VHS for my birthday. Don't think my dad knew what to really buy..but it was the thought there..

--------------------
Are we having fun yet?

GBurch
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For my birthday a couple of years ago, I got the 3D Chess Set from the Franklin Mint [Smile]

I always seem to get a few Star Trek things, not much of it is really any good though. I've learned to be very specific with my christmas list

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN: "I got the Encyclopedia (original edition) for Xmas back in... '95, maybe? And, honestly, if that hadn't happened, I never would have seen the problems w/ the starship list in it... *SNIP* I never would have ended up finding the original UP Forum, and I wouldn't be here right now. Fascinating..."

Okuda and Sternbach must die.

"I am examining some pins when I hear my wife scream across the room "Paul here's some of those quarterpack things over here!" She was of course refering to tri-corders. Talk about embarrassing, she wasn't allowed to go with us this year."

Good thing you put a stop to that right there and then. We can't have woman getting the names of Star Trek props wrong. Especially when it causes embarrasement in a room full of Star Trek fans. I'm imagining the sniggers you received. I feel your pain.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps