Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » A translation, please? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A translation, please?
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "Bread and Circuses", we see a building with columns. Above the columns, there are words. They are: Honneur et Patrie .

What is this language?
What do these words say in our language?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well since 892IV was supposed to be an alternate universe version of Rome, i assume that the language is Latin.

I speak a smattering of several Latinate languages, not the least of which is English (which used to be a good Germanic-Celtic language before those helmeted idiots watered it down with Latin), so i think i can figure it out

honneur looks like honor

is et 'and'?

patri- as a prefix mean father

ok, any real scholars want to take over at this point?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you'll find it's French. Probably recycled the set from something else, likely Mission Impossible. It's certainly not Latin.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patrie is home or country in french but the honneur word is not french are you sure of the spelling?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh also here is a translation dictionary, I tried that word in a lot of languages and it's not there.
http://www.freedict.com/onldict/dut.html

You can try yourself.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honor and country.

That's a guess though. As 'honor' is spelled all funkily and 'country' is patria, not patrie.

Well, not really a guess as I'm fairly positive that's what the producers intended to put up there. However, if it's meant to be actual Earth Latin, then it's wrong.

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
...for all you Lit-heads out there

En francais, honneur etait "honor" et patrie etait "fatherland." Cette mots n'est pas latines. La th�orie que cette immeuble �tait de
"Mission: Impossible" c'est int�ressant.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in Alternate Rome, Latin evolves into French? Curious.

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the planet just have a predominant Roman culture... maybe the place where the episode took place was in the equivalent Gallicia?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gallicia being the area of Eastern Europe next to Ruthenia, I don't quite think so [Wink] If you mean Gaul, well, didn't they speak Latin there until long after the fall of the Empire? While I imagine French did have its roots as a provincial dialect of Latin, I doubt it would naturally have arisen while under Roman hegemony.

Still waiting to establish what "honour" is in Latin. If it's indeed "honneur" the question of patria vs. patrie may well have been a production goof.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It most likely is. I doubt the producers put in that much effort into it, so far to say: "Hey, lets alter the spelling just a little bit to demonstrate that it's not exactly the same world, even though all the more obvious sets, costumes, and characters are identical." I just don't see it happening

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Latin word for "honor" is... you'd better sit down for this one... "honor".
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Actually, Tim, it would probably be "honour." [Smile]

Anyway, um, so, that means that column was very much French, and correct French, at that.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure whether you're joking or not, but it really is "honor". And the Latin for "color" is "color". I don't know where the Brits picked up that 'u', but it wasn't from Latin. Probably the French did it, actually. Fortunately, we of the US had enough sense to revert back to the correct form. :-)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Well, I guess "HONOVR" would look somewhat silly, yes.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps