Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Alternate Universes, Dimensions, Continuums, Timelines (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Alternate Universes, Dimensions, Continuums, Timelines
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you could call it "original" because it's the first one we see in the movie, or because it happens first from Picard's POV, or whatever, but that's still not accurate. From an objective POV, you have a single timeline up until the point where Picard and Kirk emerge from the Nexus. At the point, the timeline branches into one where they emerge, and one where they don't. Both of these timelines have an equal claim to being the continuation of their parent timeline. Neither one is "original" or "altered".
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if you're going for the "a new reality is created with every decision" theory. Trek goes for whatever theory is wants to at that time. So "Parallels" goes for that idea, but something like "Yesterday's Enterprise" has an alternative reality replacing the original, and then itself getting replaced by a "restored" timeline.

As an aside, PAD used the first theory with the second idea in "Q Squared", when he had a reality where the warship Enterprise-D came across the Enterprise-C a few hours later than it did in the altered reality from "Yesterday's Enterprise". In that universe, the war with the Klingons-timeline was actually the "correct" one.

I always thought that the fourth dimension was time. Although thinking about it, I might have got that from Douglas Adams, and he did have a tendancy to make stuff up. Did he remove that from his anus, or was he quoting scientific theory?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That means there is an alternate version of me who decided not to read this frelling thread and reply to it. He is by far luckier

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can "see" four dimensions. Out of those four, the first three are spatial, and the fourth one is time.

But you can also talk about a fourth spatial dimension beyond the three we already see.

When someone says "fourth dimension", you just have to know what they're talking about. It could be either of the above.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
When someone says "fourth dimension", you just have to know what they're talking about.

...And when they say "Fifth Dimension" you start singing "The Age of Aquarius" and "Let the Sunshine In"... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like truly one-dimensional thinking to me... [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps