Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ST:Nemesis effects

Author Topic: ST:Nemesis effects
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that "Digital Domain" will be doing the next movie's visual effects. Is this the company that did the effects for Insurrection? PLEASE let's HOPE NOT - cause the effects in Insurrection were WOEFUL. The effects for that movie were the worst since TFF.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's not the same company that did Insurrection (which personally I never really found anywhere near as bad as everyone claims they are.) Digital Domain is a rather high-powered VFX house, probably number two in terms of experience to ILM. Here's a listing of some of their other work.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet Jesus! That's some pretty big movies they've got under their belt! I can't wait for Nemesis now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because we ALL know that the special effects are all that makes a Trek movie worth watching... [Wink]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they don't HURT! [Wink]

This movie has to be 'EPIC' - and so the effects and sets and set lighting (see previous rants about the look of the Insurrection bridge) have to have that 'epic' feel. ST6 Has that feel. Majestic ships in space (see ST3 and ST6) not these little buzzy things... ST8(beginning) and all ST9.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

WOAH! I followed the link and the first movie I saw was "Apollo 13" I was sold then and there! The effects in that movie were just nothing short of brilliant.

Then I saw tLotR!!!! I thought it was WETA digital - I guess it was both! YES! I was going to suggest who-ever did tLotR!

THEN I saw Sgt. Bilko! ;o)

Then Titanic - Guess who won an Academy Award AND who is a previous Trek Director and Effects guy!! Robert Legato!!!!!!!!!!

Then X-Men. I am TOTALLY sold people!

Oh FRELL! I just saw they did "The Fifth Element" too! WOW!

Andrew

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've certainly got a reputation... But you gotta wonder if Paramount is springing for their "A" team of animators or settling for the cheaper teams that don't do the main-line work. Furthermore, many of the big films they worked on were not solo efforts, but in combination with other effects houses, including ILM. DD has standards of performance, but who knows if they'll be assigning their main men to work on Nemesis...

Mind you, if they DO, I'll be in quality heaven. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quick look at the fraction of the VFX team already listed at IMDb under ST:NEM seems to suggest these are indeed the A-list guys.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps