Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » OK, what the FRELL was going on with the Klingons...? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: OK, what the FRELL was going on with the Klingons...?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw "The Enemy". Riker talks about a war with the Klingons. WHAT WAR? There wasn't a Klingon/Federation war until DS9.

This is right up there with Wesley saying that the Klingons joined the Federation in "Samaritan Snare".

Buh?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gather there was some sort of war - where the attack on a Federation base took place - as per Kor in "Once more unto the breach".

And well, Buck-wheat... we have to smudge that line by Wesley to mean - I guess - the Khitomer accords and the subsequent peace treaty of which Curzon Dax played a major part.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems obvious that the Federation fought a cold war with the Klingons for a healthy portion of its existance, with occasional flareups here and there along the border. Surely that counts.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "The Emissary," the T'Ong originated when the Federation and Klingons were "at war," some seventy-five years ago. This would seem to indicate that there was a Klingon War arund 2290, perhaps explaining the transition of the Enterprise interiors from happy-beige and light in The Final Frontier to military-gray and dark in The Undiscovered Country. If the Enterprise saw a lot of combat, a war would also explain its early retirement.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's quite a few places that say that UFP/Klingon relations deteriorated quite badly in the 2290s, from the almost tollerating relationships they had the couple of decades before that.

The definition of war is a bit vague though. For Americans, "war" can mean anything from "big fight with huge armies" to "attacking a hopelessly outclassed enemy with big bombs" to "kicking someone in the shins".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? This means war Liam!

*kicks him in shins*

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UFP and Klingon Empire were involved in an extended war up until the latter part of first season TOS ("Errand of Mercy") at which point the Organian Peace Treaty was imposed on both sides, putting an 'official' end to the military conflict. Of course, it was not enforced and a strong hostility remained between the two powers, leading to a number of incidents such as those seen in "Friday's Child" (TOS), "The Trouble With Tribbles" (TOS), "A Private Little War" (TOS), "Elaan of Troyius" (TOS), "Day of the Dove" (TOS), "More Tribbles, More Troubles" (TAS), and "The Time Trap" (TAS).

Starfleet had sensor drones spying on (or observing, if you prefer) the Klingons at the time of TMP. Klingons were the enemy depicted in SF combat training simulations, as per TWOK. And of course, all the way through the next four movies (up until the end of TUC) there were intense diplomatic tensions and several incidents of actual military agressions.

Things have not been pretty.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are different kinds of wars.. in TUC Spock says '70 years of hostilities' meaning that since the 2220s there had been battle with the Klingons. We know for a fact that declarations of war didnt seem to be present, meaning this wasnt an 'official' 'everybody line up on either sides of the line and shoot at each other' type of war, but instead a series of conflicts, aggressions incidents and skirmishes which never provoked a full-scale invasion of either side into the other, judging by the fact that the status quo was maintained for so long. And do i remember Sulu saying in Errand of Mercy that word had come down from SF that there was a.. declaration of war? im not sure, but that might be a war with the Klingons that Riker can go on to speak of.. anywho..

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, there was an outright war in "Errand of Mercy." (2266) It was unfortunately too short, thanks to the Organians.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It was unfortunately too short

Darn things should drag on for at least four or five years.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, war is good for business, afterall... [Big Grin]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
Member # 709

I knew you were a Ferengi

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so there WAS a war that lasted ten minutes, in which no one died. Riker referenced the large number of casualties in the war. Still no explaination...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

capped
Member # 709

Um.. there is an explanation. There was another war.. between the Federation and the Klingons.. there were casualties...

this doesnt seem so far-fetched

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, when somebody says 'a war' it doesn't necessarily mean there was a declaration of war. The Vietnam, Korean, and Gulf Wars were all undeclared. And just look at what's been going on in Afghanistan!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps