Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Computer voices! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Computer voices!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't realise this - until I was watching Star Trek III a month or so ago, that Judi? Durand - the voice of the Cardassian computers... (mainly the DS9 computer) is also the voice for the Spacedock Computer!! I wonder if there is a connection? Maybe Cardassians had stolen old Fed tech?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...Interesting.

I think the DS9 comp voice was the same as the voice we heard in other Cardie places in that series, like the military headquarters in "Second Skin".

One instance of her voice not being used for a Cardie computer that I can think of would be in Voyger's "Dreadnaught". It was a very male voice in that episode.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hadn't B'Elanna already tampered with the Dreadnaught back in the Alpha Quadrant?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, she (among other things) replaced the computer's voice with her own. But, during the episode, when she was attempting to disable the computer, she reactivated the Cardassian programming which had a male voice. Eventually, the Maquis programming disabled the Cardassian anti-virus software and the B'Elanna voice took over again.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're on the subject...

Why did the Cardassian computer in WYLB (DS9) feature a Federation voice?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

What scene? I don't remember it. Though, the obvious answer is, production gaff.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they didn't feel the need to employ two (well, three including Majel Barrett) actors to spout inane meaningless technobabble.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to get all Nixpicky, but whose the third? The two would include Majel Barrett.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 lady also does the odd Greyhound commercial.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can tell, the "three" are the DS9 lady, Majel Barrett, and a third person which, as Lee said, they didn't want to hire.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the universal translator is probably the speculative explaination. perhaps it only comes in three or four preset voices.

You pick the one you like, you use it. different tastes for different folks.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Presumably they didn't want to 'female' voices for Dreadnaught... so they made one male. Maybe this might be the 'voice' of Dreadnaught. Not just another old computer. Ohhhh a new series idea! Star Trek: Dreadnaught! ;o)

I agree I reckon Majel Barrett doing the Cardassian computer is either laziness or a gaff they overlooked.

I loved the bit in Q2 where Janeway order's coffee in the Mess Hall (although I don't know why seeing as Neelix always has a fresh pot for her and that I thought they removed the replicators from the Mess Hall) the computer has been changed by Q and it says "GET IT YOURSELF!" ;o)

Andrew

P.S. Does anyone think they could have been a bit more imaginative with the Q episode's name!?! Q2 - that is the Encyc's name for the Corben Bernson SP? Q character in "Deja Q". What about "Like Father; like Q"??

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yes...."Q2" was a dreadfully boring name for that ep. They could've done better. But they made up for it by zapping Seven's clothes off...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did they use Majel for a Cardie comp anywho?

[ January 22, 2002: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said, in DS9's WYLB. Can't remember the exact scene tho... I think it's in the second part where Kira & Co. are trying to bust open this neutronium door-thingy.

Didn't know the Cardies (or the Jemmies for that matter) had the technology to process that material, btw.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps