Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nemesis score? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nemesis score?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is composing the Nemesis score? I didn't think it was Jerry Goldsmith again - but here in the poll it says it is:

http://www.tracksounds.com/

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Goldsmith's been reported through various sources as the music man, although I can't recall any official word. Indeed, I imagine that the composer could be left undecided until well after principal photography wraps. But so far it seems like Jerry'll be back one more time. Which is good, because I do like his work. Insurrection's score was mildly disappointing because there was very little original stuff, but the whole Ba'ku theme was IMHO underrated. Thematically, we may be in for some more bombastic stuff this time around, which I'd be rather happy with. I'd love to see the Klingon battle theme back for more than a handful of notes this time, too.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh I'm sick of the 'Klingon Battle Music' - Frankly after Insurrection - I think they should go for a new composer again... I know Horner won't do it... but...

Hey, Don't get me wrong, Goldsmith has the best soundtrack so far...

Star Trek 5 - it maybe one shite-ish movie - but it's got the most lovely score.

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's also what I thought. Although the rest of the movie was quite awful, the soundtrack is really great in V.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sick of the Klingon battle music? Once in TMP, once in TFF, and then a few bars in FC and even less in INS.

We need a techno remix. [Wink]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE that Klingon Battle theme! Doing it in every movie every time Worf pops his head up would be cheesy, but I thought it kicked in FC!

It's so...tribal... daDAA daDAA daDAAAAAAA dada dada dada dadaaaaaa

OK. I'm done.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ahhhhh - it is rompingly good but I got sick of it when I noticed that season 1 and 2 of TNG they were still using it! (well I guess it was was only used in TMP at that point - so it was novel.)

I thought Insurrection was a rip-off personally... It was NEARLY a carbon-copy of First Contact, with a new 'theme'.

Gawd I love the STV soundtrack, though. I listened to it like four times in one day the other day ;o) or something like that. I even like the end song by "Hiroshima" - The Moon is a Window to Heaven... it's eighties-synth-pop-tastic!

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i loved the STV score. I also love the battle klingon battle theme.

You know, it was only in insurrection twice, abuot 4 seconds of it each time.

I think it fits.

Yay Goldsmith!

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doh! Double post!..

I like that song too...
80's synth rules.

[ January 25, 2002, 07:10: Message edited by: Proteus ]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The worst soundtrack?? Star Trek: IV... Cliff Eidelmann or who-ever. It's not that bad IN THE MOVIE - but the actual released album... is pathetic.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cliffey-boy did Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, and a very good job he did too. Yeah, it was close to being a rip-off of the Planets, but it was a good rip-off. It has tons of energy.

ST IV was by, er, someone. And was a bit poo (apart from a lovely reprise of the original TOS theme when we first see the Enterprise-A flying through space).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ahhhhh yes - I got them mixed up - I do like the Star Trek 6 soundtrack - but as an album it doesn't quite work but accompanied with the movie it is simply FUCKING FANTASTIC!!!!! I love the opening themes... and that piano thumping away then the Praxis explosion! *shivers* it is awesome.

The Ending of 4 - with the TOS theme was indeed good, but the actual album for 4 by - whoever it was now - was/is CRAP.

Andrew

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The main theme for ST4 sounded like Christmas muzak you'd hear in a department store. [Smile] Not bad, but not necessarily what you'd expect from the tone of the film.

Personally, I'm casting my vote for the "Generations" theme. Just 'cuz I can.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
ST IV was by, er, someone. And was a bit poo (apart from a lovely reprise of the original TOS theme when we first see the Enterprise-A flying through space).

It was by Leonard Rosenman, who did a James Horner and swiped from himself, basically reowrking his hobbit music from the 1978 Lord of the Rings film for Star Trek.

Personally, as to listening to them outside the movies I don't care for any of the Trek films scores except for I and V. Horner's music is so generic that virtually every movie he scored for 10 years sounds the same. Rosenman's score is just weak. Eidelman's score is good underscore, but that's it. McCarthy's score for Generations was weak even as underscore. And Goldsmith's later Trek film scores are too by the numbers and lack the inventiveness he had in I and V.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Wes
Member # 212

Frankly, I would love to hear parts of the TWoK/SFP theme hidden in there.

I know its Romulans, but you just know, where there is Romulans, theres gonna be Vulcans... hell, they are vulcans.. mostly.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps