Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Praxis incident (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Praxis incident
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was meant to be analogous to the Chernobyl disaster - not that Chernobyl had all that much to do with the collapse of the USSR, however. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The assumption that Praxis destroyed the Klingons military infrastructure is mistaken i think. There is no evidence towards that. I think that if Praxis was indeed the moon of Kronos, the problem facing the Empire would be the ecology and its citizens. The reason the Empire was in danger of falling was the fact that their ships would be underpowered since they lost their fuel source, and that their planet was probably undergoing massive meteorological and radiation shifts as a result of an explosion in orbit.

If one or both of those are true, either way, peace and help from the Federation was what made the Klingon Empire survive. Im thinking food assistance for the citizens of Kronos, and scientific efforts to minimize damage from greenhouse effects, 'nuclear' winters, crop damage and weather control. And none of this whatsoever has to do with the Klingon war machine, as the military got back on its feet after its home problems were dealt with, because all of the ship building, armament and fleet were never in issue. It also explains why so few new Klingon ships were designed between 2293 and TNG ;-)

Since we have no solid data as to what exactly happened, we have to find a theory that fits the facts, and i think this one does (while the 'Klingon people and military was vaporized by the shockwave' explanation has too many holes to really hold up, both in the context of the way the movie proceded and the way TNG proceded)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the whole disarmament thing was due to the fact that the Klingons did not have the economic resources to correct the damage to the homeworld's environment while maintaining the defense expenditures confrontation with the Federation required. (That always seemed strange to me, BTW; an interstellar empire can't afford to clean up one planet?)

Incidentally, Spock's line says gives a date for the death of the homeworld of fifty years, not six months.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
should caused much more damage to the Klingon homeworld than environmental problems.

It's possible that another moon between Praxis and Quo'nos obsorbed the brunt of the blast. It's also possible that the Klingons invested in a planetary shield generator which deflected a good bit of the blast.

It's also possible that the blast radiated away from Praxis in a way that most of it missed Quo'nos. It seems -- from the image in TUC -- that the explosion cut into Praxis' core, so the shockwave didn't spread in a radius around the whole moon, but only from the point of explosion. In other words, Praxis itself blunted the blast and Quo'nos only got the edges.

Also, somewhere between TUV and TNG, it seems the Klingon Empire and the Federation figured out how to clean up Quo'nos to the extent its still liveable.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it was.

Also note that the Kapital in Enterprise, regardless of where it was, was sitting under bluish sky, and diring its TNG era appearances it's a murky, smoggy red/brown for the most part. The planet was still green in both time periods, but when we see it later on in "Sins of the Father" et. al. it's a much more soupy, opaque green. Part of it can be explained by the relatively simple opticals used at the time, but it's a fairly convenient visual cue that the Praxis explosion caused lasting environmental changes on the planet.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hope the ENT producers realise this before they go turning it back to the TNG version.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps