Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Officers' Lounge.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Coming soon: Khan Noonien Singh?

Author Topic: Coming soon: Khan Noonien Singh?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/front/2762199.htm

It seems that selective genetic engineering is already a reality. Scientists used selective breeding to fertilize a human egg that did not possess the gene for Alzheimer's.

The potential benefits of such a program are obvious -- we can eliminate the potential for many of the diseases that now appear to be genetically linked.

But just how long will it be before people start picking and choosing their kid's genes with power like this? And how acceptable will it be in the eyes of society?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gattaca.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... so that means I can have blond twin boys with blue eyes. Scary thought...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. It'll start out as almost universally unacceptable. Then a few people will do it. And like so many other things, eventually it will become more and more common, thus, more and more acceptable, thus more and more common...

IMNSHO

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I see no problem with using these techniques to prevent the development of serious diseases and other afflictions. Heck, using these methods, it may become possible to seriously cut back on things like cancer, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, clinical depression...

But the opportunity to misuse this technique is also great. I forgot to mention Voyager's "Lineage" in which this exact same thing happened -- genetic engineering was used to cure some sort of genetic defect, but B'Elanna tried to change the kid's physical characteristics, too.

Of course, it's possible to go even beyond that step, and move into the territory of the Eugenics Wars -- creating children that will be "superior" in various ways: improved intelligence, strength, or whatever.

Let's just hope that this stuff can be restricted enough to ensure that it doesn't get out of hand...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this Office Lounge material, and not Trek material?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably. *move*

I'd also point out that it would be very difficult to regulate this to just deal w/ diseases and such. Officially, it might be used for that, but people will be slipping the doctors a couple hundred dollars under the proverbial table w/ a request for a perfect kid, and plenty of the doctors will do it.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps