Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "The Voyager Conspiracy" ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "The Voyager Conspiracy" ($$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Current rumors indicate Voyager will be making another jump towards home in this episode, although no specific distance amounts have been announced.

Now... Watch Voyager still be in the Delta Quadrant. It adds new meaning to the phrase "your mileage may vary."

------------------
"Captain! I must protest! I am NOT my neighbour's dog!"

- The First One, TrekSunday chat, Oct. 17, 1999.

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the producers and writers think that the theme of Voyager is being in the Delta Quadrant. Even though we know they should be in the Beta Quadrant, the producers and writers think that we won't notice. Maybe they think that if Voyager is in the Beta Quadrant, we will be asking for the Romulans and that everyone will think Voyager is almost home.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While it may be true that Voyager may have to travel through the Beta Quad to get home (although the Voyager creators seem to believe that the Alpha Quad is directly ajacent to the Delta Quad) how much are we talking here? If Earth is on the border of the Alpha and Beta (IF), Voyager would have to pass very near the center of the galaxy and go through a slice of the Beta Quad. They'd never go through the Alpha Quad at all.

Another question, everybody on board seems to think that getting to the Alpha Quad means getting home. If I recall, Earth is in an outer spiral arm of the Galaxy. Getting into the Alpha Quad still means a decent trip is left.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, first, I think that Alpha IS adjacent to Delta, with the Klingons and Rommies in Alpha. Is there any canon evidence to the contrary? Designating the quadrants in clockwise order is the only way the map would make any logical sense. You also have to remember that the wormhole in Night may have just gotten them out of the void, but could easily have been a perpendicular move relative to their course home. That would get them out of the void, but add time to their journey. Add to that the two years they'd supposedly added to their journey by avoiding the Borg and avoiding the zone of intense radiation and you might be able to get away with their still being in Delta. But just barely. That 35,000 light-year line from Equinox is a problem. We're about halfway from the galactic core to the edge, IIRC. The galaxy is 100,000 l-y's across. That puts us ~25,000 l-y's from the core. Since they have to avoid the core by some distance, they can't be too far from the Delta-Alpha line.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but you're a looney.

Canonically, the Roms and Klings (or at least, most of their areas) are in the Beta, and the Beta is east of the Alpha.

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Ballo and I have been reading the same books :)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that the canonically the Klingons are in the Beta because of Star Trek 6, but I'm not sure where it's been said that the Rommies are (I think it's safe to say that the Tech Manuals don't have it right). No canon map has been put out intentionally. The producers are always quick to say that any maps out are only guesses. Whatever the case, all these groups would have to be pretty much on top of each other from a Galactic standpoint. If it only takes a few weeks tops to go from the Fed to the Klingon Empire, I'm not sure how soon any familiar races would pop up as Voyager entered the Beta or Alpha Quad.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think the honest reason they don't bring the ship into the Beta Quadrant is press. For people that don't watch the show heavily and don't know Star Trek, or only know it through press articles or whatever, it would be just more work to say now, "Oh, by the way, they've moved to the Beta Quadrant."

All the press says its in the Delta Quadrant, so my guess is that's what they're going to stick with.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, seeing how the instant they pass into the AQ (going in a straight bee-line), they reach the Sol Sector, then that means when they reach the AQ, they reach home.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I don't think there's anything canonical about the Klingons and Romulans' being in the Beta Quadrant. Actually, I'm not sure if the term "Beta Quadrant" has ever even been used on screen, has it?

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Sound of Her Voice". What's-her-name's ship, the whatsit, was on a long range exploration mission in Beta. "Timeless". 'Fleet found the wreckage of a Borg cube in Beta. And ST6 never said that Klingon and Rommie space is in Beta, just that Excelsior was in Alpha. Maybe Sulu thought they were in Beta already, then looked at a display out of camera range and realized that he was still in Alpha. So from his POV, it may have been something like this:

*no way we'll get there in time*

*better tell him we're already in the Beta quadrant*

"We're now in..."

*oh, wait, still in Alpha*

*darn*

*better tell him it'll take us too long to get there, anyway*

"Alpha Quadrant, but the chances of our reaching the
conference in time are slim..."

Does that work?

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've used the term Beta Quadrant quite a bit for a place where there supposedly isn't anything of interest.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
|-------|-------| ~~ Key=
|.......|.....�.| ~~ � Voyager location after accedent.
|..G....|...D...| ~~ C Galactic Core
|.......|.......| ~~ E Earth
|-------C-------| ~~ A, B, C, and D Quadrents
|.......|.......|
|...A...|...B...|
|.......E ......|
|-------|-------|

[excuse the crappy ill. this font should be fixed width! ;O)]

This is the galaxy extrapulated from canon information and the heading/mark system, with Romulans, Klingons, Breen, and some of the United Federaion in the Beta Quadrent, and the Cardasians, Feringi, and most of the UFP in the Alpha Quadrent.

Voyager has traveled more then 1/4 our galaxy, that much is clear. If thier path suggests a strait line, they will have to pass a good part of Romulan territory (suposably). They shouldnt be there quite yet, but they SHOULD be well past the Galactic Core.

Also, "Timeless" stated that Voyager crossed over from the Delta Quadrent to the Alpha Quadrent without any mention of the Beta Quadrent. This might bring new a new understanding to the quadrent system...

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

[This message has been edited by Wes1701E (edited November 18, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Wes1701E (edited November 18, 1999).]

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "Dragon's Teeth", the area that Seven had displayed in Stellar Cartography when the Vaadwaur were searching for a new home, was still far north of the Delta-Beta boarder. Granted, this may not have been the area Voyager was currently in, but... Writers, go figure.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excuse me!?!

Why does almost everyone asume that when Voyager crosses the Delta-Beta border that they are right in the middle of Romulan space?? There could a thousand or so lightyears in between the Delta-Beta border and Romulan Space.

=\V/=

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More like tens of thousands of ly, probably. There could be plenty of interesting stuff there that even the Romulans and Klingons know nothing about. If Voyager moved at a constant speed, the seven years of the show should have been divided something like four on Delta, three on Beta, before they'd be within rescue ship range.

It would appear that the ship is going to skip Beta altogether. There simply isn't time to get home at current average speed before the show ends, and it has to end with the ship back home.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps