Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ISA / NASA ("One Small Step")

Author Topic: ISA / NASA ("One Small Step")
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another one of my pointless nitpicks. The Badges and ship diagrams have an ISA logo on them, yet Chakotay refered to them as "NASA" wouldn't it be "ISA" (international space administration).

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Chakotay could be quite correct, and so could the screens and stickers and patches and whatnot with the ISA logo.

In TNG "The Royale", we learn that NASA was still up and running in 2037 when it sent a ship outside the solar system. So this ISA apparently is an organization that was created for this Ares mission but did not replace NASA in any way. And NASA might have been the only partner in this ISA that really mattered (at least to Chakotay).

Timo Saloniemi

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one of the dispalys that is close to the camera on the Ares, there is ISA/NASA or something similar down in the corner in white text.

If I dont go out tonight, then I'll watch it again.

------------------
My Stuff!

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps ISA being an international collaboration, meant NASA built one mission, ESA another, etc. And the Ares in question constituted NASA's contribution to the overall plan.

Or Commander Chuckles could just have been being Americocentric, (as if he would! )

------------------
"You will be swept away....
You, your men, your ship, your WORLDS!"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think of it that way. NASA being a PART of ISA. Thanks for the input...

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now that I've seen the ep, I can comment on this... All Chakotay said was something about NASA's receiving (or lack thereof) a message from the CM. Perhaps the ISA was more of a loose confederation than a single entity, w/ each constituent group still using its own name. In this case, NASA may have had the best monitoring equipment, so they were in charge of sending and receiving messages to and from spacecraft.

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited November 22, 1999).]

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Commader Kelly's taped log entries do show ISA/NASA in the lower left corner.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The actual display reads NASA/ISA 456/54 (I might have transposed the numbers/names). One of the numbers might be a ISA mission designation, the other a NASA number.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps