Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » One Small Step. (Actual discussion of the episode! With spoilers!)

Author Topic: One Small Step. (Actual discussion of the episode! With spoilers!)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't we talking about this one? This was a great episode. Perfectly encapsulated the sense of wonder that goes along with exploration.

After the episode was over, I saw the tail-end of NBC's weekend news, and what could the discussion be but the future of NASA. How to "encourage a skeptical public". Well, they should all watch this episode.

There are other things to talk about, of course, but this strikes me as most important. Any thoughts?

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The episode is very well done. Though I didn't like the CGI for the graviton elipse (looks like a Big Mac), or its role in the plot (space debris collector), the episode did capture that incredible sense of exploration that I personally believe to be a core Trek theme. I'm not a hugh fan of sports, but the reference to the Yankees -- the pilot's enthusiasm -- how Seven said it -- simply blew me away. Very touching; it was the first time I ever clapped for a Star Trek episode. I know, I know, imaginary audience, but hey, I like it.

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, double post. Could a forum leader please delete the first post?

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the ep was great.. all except for one thing... What the heck is happening with Seven??!!

All the sudden she became all sappy. I kinda like her as the voice of reason; you know, the 'other' vulcan! i dunno.. that whole funeral thing at the end didn't sit too well with me.

But the effects were AWESOME!! The ep kinda reminded me of the DS9 ep; umm.. what was that one with O'Brien and the Captain stranded on a planet.??? ; Voice from something??? Ahhh.. it's gonna bug me.. Anyhow there were some similarities there.

All in all, I enjoyed the ep.

------------------
Alshrim Dax

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great episode. About the Yankee's - King reference and Bokai, I liked that part since it tied in with DS9.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alshrim: The ep you're straining for (at least the only one that comes to mind where Sisko and O'Brien were stranded on a planet together) was called "Paradise".

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shuttlebay 2 and a Class 2 shuttle were mentioned once again.

Bokai broke DiMaggio's record in 2026. The astronaut said something like "Bokai just broke DiMaggio's record", implying that it happened during the same season or something.

Also, as of 2033, US is supposed to have 52 states. The flag probably showed only fifty, so I guess both of them were added in the next year.

"A Ballerina"

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited November 22, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the second ep of the season that left me wondering why the show hasn't been cancelled, bardge of the dead being the other. This has been a very good season for Voyager, but two things really bothered me with this one. Chacotay risked three lives to bring the ship out of the anomoly. He was a little out of character, and I understand he had a passion for the thing, but risking being traped in a sub-space anomoly is foolish enough to get him busted in rank. I was surprised Seven and Paris went along with it, instead of cutting the ship lose, and getting free the first time. And Seven's speach at the end seemed out of character. I understand she is growing as an individual, but it still seemed out of place.

I was watching this between midnight and one am. I will watch it again tonight, but I don't think I'll like it much better.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Barge" was a character piece, albeit a tad too slow but very Trekian.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the guy's name again who played John Kelly? I swear I've seen him before...

------------------
--Then, said Cranly, do you not intend to become a protestant?
--I said that I had lost the faith, Stephen answered, but not that I had lost self-respect. What kind of liberation would that be to forsake an absurdity which is logical and coherent and to embrace one which is illogical and incoherent?

James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you didn't like this episode...well...then I guess we disagree.

------------------
"And if we weren't good to you, Dave, you shouldn't take it all the way to your grave."
--
Will Rigby

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps