Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » First think - then rant

Author Topic: First think - then rant
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm posting this Anti-Voyager article because it is a perfect example of the prejudices many people have about Voyager without any real argument:
http://www.wittybanter.com/volume36/3620.shtml

Especially the "12 commandments" are annoying me, because there is virtually nothing useful about them, most of them are not even true. I wonder if people who permanently pick at Voyager do actually watch the show.

My comments:

1) "Get moving." - Agreed. Voyager is too often shown standing still while the ship should be at warp. But one has to take into account that the series preferably shows the moments in which this is not the case. A ship at high warp all the time (i.e. in the 95% time which is not shown on screen) would be even much more boring.

2) "Get rid of the uniforms." - I also like the new style better, but this is about the least relevant argument I've ever heard, rather a sign of a lack of arguments. Do the people really care about such trivialities?

3) "Show us actual relationships. Riker and Troi had one." - Riker and Troi? Are you kidding? They didn't have a relationship during all TNG until "Insurrection". Did this guy ever watch TNG?

4) "Speaking of relationships, get Ensign Kim one." - What would this change and would this be realistic? I think it's rather realistic that there are hardly any relationships on Voyager. Falling in love with an alien is not very useful, since the ship is going to move on, and on Voyager itself the "resources" are limited. Once men and women have decided that they do at most like each other, any deeper relationship would be excluded, as long as there is still hope to get home. - "After six years, none of the main characters have gotten promotions..." - Apart from the fact that this is wrong (Tuvok was promoted), what would this change again?

5) "Why isn't there a Maquis clique on the show?" - Agreed, but now that the two crews have merged without difficulties it's too late for this.

6) "Give the Doctor a name." - I think it's not a bad running joke or lack of ideas but a sign of his emerged self-awareness that it's getting harder and harder to actually settle upon a name. Try to change something you have gotten used to.

7) "Get rid of stupid and improbable story lines." - Agreed, the superiority of the DF is incredible. However, the vehicle must not be mistaken as the actual storyline, it's at most one element in it. Why do people always see the show as more technical than it actually is?

8) "Tell us the truth about Neelix." - Needless to comment on this one which alone disqualifies the whole argumentation. Voyager - your weekly slash show.

9) "Give Chakotay something to do." - Chakotay doesn't have much to do, but why is this always criticised on Voyager while it's accepted for Riker on the E-D? Janeway is the active part and needs someone calm to rely on, someone to ask for advice, just as Kirk needed McCoy. Is this suddenly a bad idea beacuse it's Voyager or because Janeway is a woman?

10) "Write some more stories." - I agree that the mentioned plots did show up more than once and I'm not lucky about it either. However, this is maybe 10 or 12 episodes out of 120. Too bad if you accidentally missed all the rest.

11) "Be consistent." - Maybe the villains do not appear again because Voyager has left them behind? Just a broad hint. And anyway, who says that the villains of Voyager are not popular? And anyway, who says that there has to be a villain all the time? Was DS9 better because of the persistent (and consistent) Dominion threat?

12) "Finally, quit copping out." - A superficial argument again. Not everyone thinks it is exciting when nothing is left to our imagination.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Supplement: Personally, I would like to see Harry get a girl-friend and Chakotay likewise and furthermore something more to do. However, this is just not the point. These suggestions are just not suited to make the show in any way better (or worse).
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Why do people always see the show as more technical than it actually is?"

Because they give us "isorams" and "tetryon plasma" and such.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Anarchias de meizon ouk estin kakon." - Creon

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This guy needs someone to tapdance on his head to give him a jump start. I don't think I have heard so much nonsense in my life. I admit that some of it makes sense but the rest is a waste of space.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't bother to read the article based on what Bernd said in the beginning - about it trashing Voyager. I honestly am getting so irritated at such articles that they don't do anything other than piss me off anymore. But, I did read the rest of Bernd's post and now I'll rant :-)

I agree with the fact that people keep bringing up weak arguments against Voyager. It's getting old. If you don't like the characters, fine, you can state it once and then be done with. By repeating it over and over, it only wastes not only your time by exclaiming it, but it also wastes the time of those who would happen upon it to read it.

I have to say that this also is applicable to those who watch the show despite the fact that they don't like it. What's the point? If I don't like something, I don't watch it. If Voyager is such torture to some people, why purposefully subject yourself to it, only to end up b*tching about later to others that really don't want to hear it.

Most of my arguments, though, are in another post ("Some Comments"), so I won't waste anymore space here.

Bernd, thank for letting me rant! Its been a long week. :-)

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't think Voyager's crap. It could be better (some better writers in some cases, actually put recurring characters onboard the ship like Barclay and O'Brien on TNG, etc.), but I think the problem is that we were spoiled by DS9. Very few shows are ever as good as that was, so if you want to be fair, Voy should be compaired to TNG.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Voyager.. I've been one if its great defenders since the beginning.

All of these comments are moot, considering all these facts will be changed sometime in the future.. They are complaining about something, and they have no clue as to what's to come!!!

Sure.. Chakotay needs a woman. So does Harry.. Does it have to be a crew memeber??? Well.. If I were stranded in the DQ for 7 years.. I think I'd be lookin'.. But, too many romantic story lines would make Voyager a 24th Century Harlequin Romance. And that's NOT the direction I'd want it to go... RIGHT??

Voyager has a good mix of technical and not so technical. I think people should simply stop bitching and enjoy the show.. Let come what may come!!

------------------
Alshrim Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited November 24, 1999).]

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Bernd, that guy's arguments are flawed at best ...

Most of you know me for my "infamous" VOY bashing from a few weeks ago. Well I've been thinking about it and I'd like to make an apology. I realised now that those were my personal opinion and I see now that most VOY bashers are trying to force their opinion on others.

It doesn't mean my apreciation of VOY has changed mind you, just that I won't be advertising it as much.

Note: I hope I don't sound too sappy by writing this 'cause the last three topics I answered went dead almost imediately

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Give me Good Trek or give me Death!
*Me*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Omega. One of the great things about Voy's first and second seasons were the recurring characters: Seska, the guy that got his face ripped off by the Vidians, the assitant chief engineer (what ever happened to him anyway? and did anyone notice him on the Ent D bridge early on in TNG?). I thought these bit characters and continuing plot lines onboard ship made the series very believeable and interesting.

I do think they need to come up with some better more continuing stories though.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

TerraZ: I'm glad we have found an understanding. It's natural and not necessarily bad that people get unobjective, even if it's not ranting but only a careless remark like "Voyager is bad Trek", "Riker is a moron" or "the DS9TM is crap". Some might think comments like these are self-evident and everyone should support them anyway. I have learned that it's not that simple, and my ranting about the DS9TM, for instance, has become more moderate and deliberate.

What I don't like is that opinions are presented like facts, assuming that everyone must support it. It has been discussed in the forum that Voyager's quality is not as high as it could be and that a fifth series is not likely to be better. However, pseudo-arguments beginning with "as we all think..." or "what we can do..." explicitly exclude and possibly offend those who have opposite opinions. I think it's a matter of sensitivity to a topic to avoid the "we-know-the-truth" tone. In brief: Please express your opinions, but don't try to force them upon the others.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aban Rune: I agree.. what ever did happen to Vorek!! The vulcan.. Did I miss an ep where he killed off or something.

They used Vorek for the Pon Farr w/ B'Elanna ep and that was that.. I haven't seen him since.. and I liked him. The actor, whatever his name, palyed a grrreat Vulcan.

I think we'd have a lot more Tuvok/Vorek eps if he were still around.

I'd like to see more Vulcan content in some up-coming Voyagers. I know there were predictions that there would be this season, but so far the only real ep with Tuvok in it, he was like a child ( not one of my faves ). I wanna see the genius at work, you know??

------------------
Alshrim Dax

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps