Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Tuvok's rank

Author Topic: Tuvok's rank
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK it was clear that Tuvie was a Lt. Comm. from Caretaker to half way through season 1. I have a Voyager Magazine with his picture on the front with two and a half pips...

Then he mysteriously gets demoted - anyone know when - and what for?

Was it because of his actions reguarding the space folding technology?

Also Tom Paris - when did he get demoted from a full Lt. to a Lt. Jnr Grd. (and then of course he gets bumped down again to Ensign in 30 days)

Have there been any other mysterious rank changes?

Its the little things that Voyager's staff just neglect...

Ranks, crew count, shuttle count etc. etc.

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there was a thread on this awhile ago. Anyway, I think the rank mistakes were costuming errors. Tuvok was always reffered to as Lt. in the first season, dispite the fact that he wore Lt. Commander pips until he was actually promoted to Lt. Commander last season.

I suspect the same is true for Tom. There was no mention of a demotion until he was bumped to Ensign. I think TPTB simply realized "Hey, he's the same rank as Tuvok now, that's not right. Costume guy, put a black pip on there instead."

Sorry, I just don't think there is a Star Trek answer to this one, at least not one we've seen on screen.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I could have sworn that he was referred to as "Lieutenant Commander" at least once, but since I don't have any early VOY on tape I won't make a fuss about that. I always thought he was knocked down to Ltnt for the space-folding tech incident, which seems like plausible "Trek answer".

I agree that Paris was "demoted" from Ltnt to Ltjg because TPTB wanted Tuvok to outrank him.

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom: That's about the only plausible Trek answer I can think of too. Only two problems:

1. I think he wore 2 1/2 pips the whole first season. His uniform didn't change right after that incident.
A demotion was certainly never mentioned in that episode nor any time after that.
2. When he was promoted to Lt. Comm last season, everybody acted like this was his first time at that rank. I think the ceremony would've been a little bittersweet if he was just regaining his rank.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's been referred to as "Lieutenant Commander" since "Revulsion", because he got promoted then.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate what they did to Paris though. In an interview with Robert Duncun McNeil he also thought it was lame. Being an ensign makes him seem as though he were inexperienced and young. He had a certain attitude when we first saw him, only now that's been softened up too much. I wish the producers would give him his rank back.

------------------
Calvin: "My life needs a rewind/erase button."
Hobbes: "...and a volume control."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at Tuvok's photo in the Encyclopedia and it shows him with 2 pips, not 2�.

------------------
Calvin: "My life needs a rewind/erase button."
Hobbes: "...and a volume control."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps