» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Voyager countdown

Author Topic: Voyager countdown
Chris
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Someone asked for a Voyager countdown (displaying the
distance to Earth) some time ago - well, I've created
one with JavaScript, based on my original Stardate
script. It is based on my new figures for Voyager's route I explained to you recently.
However, the principle is pretty easy: the distance after the last jump (in VC) is used as a
base reference, and from this figure, the percentage of the annual average distance covered by
Voyager (438) already travelled at the current stardate is deducted.
Therefore, the counter works properly until the next jump, then, it has
to be readjusted.

Well, I told you enough, here it is:

But, you don't believe in my figures, because you think they are the work of evil? No problem:
the script can be adapted very easily to your favorite distances, if you like
to use it: simply change the 438 to your annual average distance and the
30724 by your calculated distance to Earth after VC.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited December 13, 1999).]

IP: Logged
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I happened to notice that script a few days ago on your site. I think I was the one talking about a countdown device, and that just happens to be exactly what I was talking about. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of Java, so I doubt I'll be able to alter the script to my own calculations. (I just finished them, I'll probably post them in their entirety after dinner.)

------------------
"We exist in a boundless time continuum. There is no weekend!"

- Zorak, "Hungry," Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... The code is a lot easier to read when its not amidst UBB stuff.

A few suggestions to improve accuracy, though:

A year should be counted as 365.25 days, at the very least.

When exactly does this clock begin counting down from? It seems as though the distance given in the clock is a bit lower than it should be. Ideally, it should begin counting down from the original airdate of "The Voyager Conspiracy."

------------------
"We exist in a boundless time continuum. There is no weekend!"

- Zorak, "Hungry," Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since an entire year on the show is contracted into about nine months on TV, the stardate can't keep accurate time w/ the show. Otherwise, the counter would hit the end of the year in May and have to wait until September to start up again.

I also don't think the stardate system is based on a 365.25 day-long year. Otherwise, by the time a leap day rolls around, the stardate would be off from the calendar date by a full day. I think 1000 stardates are equal to the time from January 1 to January 1, however long that is in the given year.

I realize SF would have no reason to do this, but it's not like they have any reason to base the stardates on the Earth calendar, anyway. (And, according to "Data's Day", the stardates are canonically proven to not be based on the Earth calendar, but I doubt many people would want to accept that.)

------------------
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the 'net, and he won't bother you for weeks.

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!!

I'm impressed with your web page, it looks very well done. My web pages always turn out looking like crap ammature projects so I never give anyone the urls.

0-FTM

------------------
my favorite web site
http://www.csoft.net/~datanet/bb/Ultimate.cgi

"Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel, don't think. Trust your instincts."
"I don't care what universe you're from, that's got to hurt!"

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps