Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » U.S.S. Voyager

Author Topic: U.S.S. Voyager
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, a little riddle for you all: were was the Voyager constructed? The dedication plaque says it was assembled at earth station Mckinley (also used to repair the E-D after the Borg attack) while "Relativity" indicates it was built at Utopia Planetia.
It seems unlikely that a vessel is constructed in two places at once, so... were?

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the place stated in the dedication plaque might be the place where a given ship receives her final components (say, the dedication plaque ). At first, the ship may indeed be built in several different places at the same time: nacelles at Vulcan, hull at Mars, weapons at Earth. Integration of major components can then be carried out where most conveninent - that is, where the hull is being built.

And final equipment may be installed near the centers of technological excellence (read: Earth), or near the place where the ship is going to begin her first mission (which for the Defiant would explain why her dedication plaque says Bajor sector, SD just before DS9 third season, even though the ship probably was mostly built at Mars, before the Borg intrusion more than a year before DS9 even began).

So the Voyager was probably assembled on Mars, but received the final equipment on Earth orbit at McKinley. We know the E-D was assembled at Mars and launched from McKinley, but she probably got her plaque while still on Martian orbit, since it reads "Utopia Planitia"...

Timo Saloniemi

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

If it says McKinley.. that's where it was built.. Could have had an overhaul at UP.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited December 20, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Implies to me that it was officially launched at McKinley.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Elim. Voyager could have been launched at McKinley, gone once around the system, and parked at UP for all the equipment that gets put in the Tuesday after launch. Or if that doesn't work for you, she could have been assembled at UP and towed to McKinley for the official launch.
IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuesday *L* I just LOVE that joke.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The fact that the location imediately follows the launch date implies that the location relates to her launch, not her construction.

Think of the Titanic (I' may get this totally wrong here). She bore the word Liverpool on her hull to denote where she was launched from, right. But I believe she was actually built in Ireland. At least according to the movie...

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It actually says
"Launched blablabla * Earth Station McKinley",
so that doesn't necessarily mean it's built there.
I think that after the launch they brought it to UP for some minor adjustments, and to show it to Janeway.

------------------
"There will be an answer, let it be..."
Motto of the USS Sutherland

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps