Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Voyage(r) that could have been !!

Author Topic: The Voyage(r) that could have been !!
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This article has a really interesting suggestion about what Voyager could've been...

This Zimmerman (?) Same one?? I don't know, but he has this one idea that, instead of Voyager racing home, they try to establish a new Federation in the Delta Quadrant ...

Interesting, but a little too much power, I think, for Janeway... Here's the article:

Trek Nation Article

Opinions??

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!! :)

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure. While the challenge of getting across the galaxy in a scoutship is a daunting one, electing to abandon any hope of ever seeing your friends, family, even your own species again is a far greater one. With such meagre resources I doubt they could achieve much before some pissed-off alien blew them away.

There's also the issue of the prime Directive. If they wanted to bring the ideals of the federation to the Delta quadrant, the first one is the PD. This effectively means, as discussed in "The 37s" putting down roots on a planet and building anew.
That episode did offer them a chance to hop onto a colony already mostly established. It was all waiting there for them , but they chose to continue their quest to get home. That seems the more "heroic" option in that instance.

------------------
Gene: "I AM Star Trek"
Yvonne: "You can't sum yourself up in so small a package."
Gene: "SMALL?!!"

- Gene Roddenberry: The Last Conversation

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.. I'm not saying the premise doesn't have holes .. but the concept is interesting !

Make some new allies; share technology .. suddenly resources aren't so meager anymore, you know what I mean?

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then people would complain it wasn't realistic, there could be no resolution to the premise, ad nauseum. You just can't win.
Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... what happens in the 26th century when the New Federation (who has by this time defeated the Borg and harnessed their technology, AND allied with Species 8472) expands into the boundaries of the original UFP... I would imagine that it would be a tense meeting, to say the least.

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Point taken Elim !!!

(I think I was just slammed)

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slammed? Ack, no! I was just saying that there's no "solution" to Voyager's premise that will satisfy everyone. Well, at least all the critics.
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the idea was pretty good. It would have been interesting to see were the writing crew would take the show.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Yes.. that's what I thought !!!

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting plot but it just wouldn't work...the most races that we have seen wouldn't want to have anything to do with some humans that want to build a new empire from a single ship...and where would they expand? Most races are hostile and the feds would never expand by conquering...and i would like to know how in hell would they manage to defeat the borg...the sector 001 battle lasted 4 days and over 400 federation ships were lost from a single cube...the battle would have probaly been lost if Picard didn't know the weakness in the borg cube hull...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just speculating on the Borg thing, Marko...

"On this ship, anything's possible..."

------------------
Dane

"...and there was war in heaven..." The Bible, Revelation 12:7

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
sorry...i didn't mean to offend you...i spent 3 hours fighting with my friend's stupid modem that day and i was ticked...

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps