Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Blink of an Eye" specifics ($$$)

Author Topic: "Blink of an Eye" specifics ($$$)
Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
While completely aware of the discussion "Blink of an Eye" has generated in another post, last night's episode was overall very well scripted. At the very least, it was an enjoyable episode that I won't object to watching again. Crusade regular Daniel Dae Kim's guest appearance certainly made it the more exciting for sci-fi fans: when he walked onto the bridge, badda bing, badda bang, two sci-fi series come face to face. I tell you -- that made my day.

My question:
Was the alien species on "the weird planet" (leave it to little Naomi to sum things up!) ever called by name? I remember the gods the early inhabitants worshipped in the beginning of the episode had names, as well as the leader in the Renaissance-type era we see later on. Throughout the entire episode, were we given the name of this alien species?

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

[This message has been edited by Starship Voyager (edited January 20, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Grand Admiral Reese
Ex-Member

The name was never given, as far as I remember. I forget the name of the god mentioned, as well as that of the Protector. I'll try to remember later.
warbird5
Ex-Member

what forced Voyager to leave the planet, and what happened to the civilization in the end when voyager left.
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Voyager left the planet when the race got so sophisticated that they sent up some ships and tractored voyager out of their whatchamacallit field.
Then the race was left to explore the universe.

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only got to see the first half of this ep, due to VCR trouble. Did they ever explain away the fact that, if this planet's time moved so quickly, but it was still rotating at a normal speed, many generations would come and go between every sunrise/sunset/sunrise?

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the beginning of the episode, I think it was Tuvok that said the planet spinned really fast, like a pulsar.

------------------
"You're right. They wouldn't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them."
-B'Ellana Torres, Virtuoso

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The speed of light or more. Considering it's tachyon core in theory it could not go slower and as it lost energy only speed up. At least according to real modern day physicists.

Also you can tell it was going fast since everything was just a blue blur but as that astronaut guy goes back to it, it looks like a regular Class-M planet.

------------------
"...and if frogs could fly; well we'd still have this problem, but wouldn't it be cool?" - Drew Carey
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, does the planet simply spin around its polar axes (don't mind sp!) extremely fast or is it somehow isolated in a "subspace bubble" or something? (haven't read the other threads concerning this yet). IMO, the first option is simply not possible: any stellar body which spins THAT fast would be enormously compact and dense, and the gravitational field of such a planet/star (like that of a neutron star) would crush everyone on it. I mean, 100 grams of matter, if dropped upon the surface of a neutron star from 1 meter above, produces more energy then a nucleair explosion (don't remember the exact equations though)! How can ANYTHING live/survive on it? IMHO the episode is rubbish for suggesting this if it is indeed just a "Merry go round" planet.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time is indeed quantitatively faster on the planet, slowing down the farther away from the surface you get. So there are obviously temporal thingies at work. The tachyon core was just an attempt to get away from saying "it's experience subspace phenomenon X". Ironically, in this case, it would have been better to go with X.

Good episode, though.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got to see this for the first time last night. I really liked this episode, and the iDEA of time moveing faster on the surface. Well scripted and well acted and as the first post says, it had DDKim, one of my favorites since seeing him in "Crusade". My only real question was, what was the Doctor doing when he was beamed up from the surface? Did anyone see it happen?

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice this when those two guys were sending the message in the ballon? What the old guy wrote on the paper looked like what the Protector dictated written in English. Why would they have English?

------------------
"Contact in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... more or less."
-Tal Celes "Good Shepard"
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/7647/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they're speaking English, if only for our convenience. It's hardly a big deal if they write it too.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The speed the planet was turning was 58 rpm.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That's why I couldn't get Sgt. Pepper to sound right on it...

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the doctor being beamed up, what about when they tried to retrieve him the first time? He stayed in the beam for like 15 seconds. So for about two weeks he was just standing there on the planet's surface glowing and sparkling. I think someone would've noticed that too.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps