Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » next weeks episode... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: next weeks episode...
Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok I've looked at the preview, and it is basically just a promo for the next 6 episodes with mainly stuff from the wrestling episode. what is next week's episode about?

------------------
"Hey you...you talkin to me?"
"Show me your steel"
"I will show you my iron claw technique!"
-Five

"Every lie is another brick in the path to hell"

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is as much as I know:

$
$
$
$
$
$
$$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$$

A superior alien race inexplicably worships The Doctor's singing voice, granting him rock-star status. - This from Continuum.

Other stuff I've heard, is that this race of people have never really heard music before (imagine that - life without music! What would I do without my Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Jonny Lang, and Lucky Peterson) So when they hear the Doc singing .. they worship him..

I think it'll be funny, relief type of ep, which will show the 'human' side of Voyager.

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:
Live Long and Prosper

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 24, 2000).]

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully it will be a good episode. Wouldn't that be good, if Voyager had mostly good episodes for a long time. One question, do you think it is almost impossible for a civilization to go without hearing music?

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would depend on a lot of factors like biology and culture. I'm sure that there'd be aliens wordering how we went along for millennia without ____.
Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
$$$$$$

The species are apparently named the Qomar (I'm guessing pronounced Komar). The Doctor falls in love with one of the aliens. I think her name is Tincoo.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can imagine a culture evolving w/o music. But this could only happen if they have no sense of rhythm at all. In which case, they would hear music and simply think of it as noise. Someone singing, to them, would simply be someone talking funny.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I buy it. Think about the band Stomp. Humans at least can perceive music in just about anything. For a culture to evolve without some kind of music, they'd have to be COMPLETELY different than us and socially and most likely biologically. But if that was the case, how would they recognize the Doc's singing voice? But I guess we'll just have to wait until the ep has actually been aired.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, even Vulcans have music .. and they're self-proclaimed passionless people.

I mean, music is suppose to stir emotion..

But with Vulcans, I suppose, they weren't always like that - you know, passionless.

The species could be simply fixed on science, mathematics, etc..- things of a strictly practical nature ... Like the Borg !! The Borg don't have music .. it's irrelevant - serves no practical purpose.

So,TSN, I can argue your point, I think. Imagine if you've been deaf all your life .. And after a miracle cure, you hear, for the first time, a song by who ever it is you like... Let's say a peach of a voice like, Celine Dion, or Barbara Streisand... or a booming voices like Tom Jones, or a velvet voice like Elvis Presley ... You'd probly be moved to tears .. depending on your taste, of course.

So now, imagine a society that is deaf when it comes to music.. It never occurs to them that the voice can be used for anything non-practical, like singing. And for the first time, they hear a tune... I think they'd be facinated..

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:
Live Long and Prosper

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 25, 2000).]

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could also be that the entire species is tone deaf and there music just sucks.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alshrim: Yes, but humans have a natural tendency toward music. I mean, someone taps a rock on a stick, and they notice that there's a rhythm to it. Eventually, this evolves into more complex patterns that are music. If these people have never developed music in any way, shape, or form, it means that they have no sense of it whatsoever. Surely, someone at some time in their culture tapped a stick against a rock and made a rhthym. But, if this didn't evolve into music, it suggests that these people are simply wired so differently from us that they can't comprehend "music". They aren't deaf; their brains just don't work the same way ours do.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, we are lacking in good comparision studies.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

True.. but let me re-itterate something..

A Borg Drone, taps a field-coil infuser (does that even exist?? ) to a field-coil 3 times in succession ... would that drone recognize the rhythm .. or would it dismiss it as an irrelevancy ?!

I'm saying, it's possible that this culture may never have considered the concept of rhythm as relevant.

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:
Live Long and Prosper

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 26, 2000).]

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alshrim: the borg aren't a good example of a culture without music because the borg aren't really a race...I'm sure that whatever race the borg trully orginated from had music, but since they evolved into the borg, music had become irrelevant to them, and any time they assimilate a new species, the new borgs are then mindless drones and what was once important, isn't. Family, music, love, all irellevant.

I myself think while the episode might be good, the basis of a culture without music, IMO is stu-pid. I think that Ron Moore would agree with me, have you guys read his latest interview?

-Marc

------------------
"Hey you...you talkin to me?"
"Show me your steel"
"I will show you my iron claw technique!"
-Five

"Every lie is another brick in the path to hell"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think it's a fascinating concept, and don't see what relevance Moore has with it.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Regardless of what they once where before being assimilated .. the Borg is a race ..

They are sentient - .. just because they are different to what we know .. doesn't make them any less a race than a Vulcan, Cardassian, or a Ferengi !!

That's what I think anyways..

I'm looking forward to this ep !! I won't get to watch it till 4am my time !!

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:
Live Long and Prosper

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 26, 2000).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps