Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Memorial $$$$$

Author Topic: Memorial $$$$$
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy all...

As the next ep approaches, I like to start new thread to discuss view..

I just watched the trailer from Continuum. This ep looks good !! Looks like Janeways gets herself in another bind...

This isn't the one with the Hirogen in it is it?? I know that there is supposed to be one coming up with them in it.. In looking at the the trailer, I thought I saw one.. but I couldn't be sure !

Anyone else hear more on this ep..??

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!! :)

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Hirogen in "Tsunkatse", but not "Memorial". The new episode does look... different, from the trailer.
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Major $$$ Seriously!
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
Well, I heard that they are just war memories from some other civilization that is transmitting them.

------------------
Navigator-"Heading, Sir?"
Kirk-"Out there...somewhere...out thatta-way."--Star Trek: TMP

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$$$$$$$poilers
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

I just finished watching the episode. I saw something very interesting though, when Janeway wakes up from her memories, she talks to this ensign. That ensign though looked very familliar. I couldn't put my finger to it until I looked at my Enterprise-E model. I've seen that guy before, he was an extra on Star Trek: First Contact. I remember him from the bridge scene where Picard and company listen to the Typhoon mishap. He was even wearing the new yellow Starfleet uniform. I wonder if he has a twin though...

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

[This message has been edited by Justin_Timberland (edited February 03, 2000).]

Waylynn
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the episode last eve and thought it was 'okay' viewing wise.

I do not agree with Janeway's decision to repair/re-power the monument itself though. There are better ways to see and learn what occured then by living the memories of those that commited the atrocity of killing and then covering up the deaths of, what was it, 85 inocent people.

To relate to our time, though it's on a larger scale, merely watching such films as "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" moved me enough to never want to have such repeated ever again.

I just think there was another way then being violated with memories you do not desire, and having to live through such remorse for something you did not even do. Warning bouy or not.

------------------
Respectfully,

Michael Sander

IP: Logged
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that she did the right thing in repairing it. It may be a tramatic experience but it would make sure that no one would ever forget what happend there. The becon they leave was a good way to warn others of what they will face if they enter the system. If they had let the memorial power down others may have never found it and become aware of what happend.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was ok as well...

I think she did the right thing by repairing .. she did, afterall, set a buoy in orbit to warn ppl of what would happen if they entered that system...

I felt that this was one of the first eps that actually captured the bond between the crew members .. the sense of family was evident in this episode and that's what won it for me.

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something was throwing me off about this ep, and it took me a minute to figure out what it was: a good chunk took place on a planet! That's the first time that's happened in recent memory. When they beamed down at the end, the colors were quite refreshing.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

M of S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I think it was a really, really bad decision. We have seen memory tampering used as either a punishment or a manipulation too many times, to view it as a "useful tool." It is, in my view, extremely invasive and a serious violation of individual autonomy. Seeing a movie vs. having "implanted emgrams" or whatever TrekBabble, are vastly different experiences. The device did not include a way for people to know that the memories were just "false", no "disclaimer" at the end of the "show" to say, "What you just experienced actually occurred 300 years ago, please don't forget us . . . " The Voyager crew only discovered this because of their extensive investigation - and I wonder if a less determined crew wouldn't have just hightailed it away, never to learn the truth.
Janeway's crew (and Janeway herself) is suffering some pretty severe PTSD - this is useful?? Isn't her main objective to keep her crew functioning as optimally as possible - I realize this is a "done deal" for Voyager, but why make OTHER crews less effective?

This "memorial" and its resultant brain rape is, in my view, no better than the horrible mishap that it commemorates. The soldiers violated a whole village of people, and that memorial violates everyone who comes near it.

IMO, Janeway's warning bouy is bunk - now NOBODY will see it, if they heed the warning. At least viewing the monument with the MemoryRapeOMatic turned off, will allow for some future knowledge of the sad events. How about a warning bouy that says, "Hey all you Delta Tourists . . . be sure to catch the somber memorial on this beautiful planet . . . they plunked it right down on a field of self mowing grass, don't miss it!" (Anyone else notice the deserted planet had beautiful lawns? LOL)

Captain Principled can't leave the caretaker array intact because the nice Ocampa might get hurt, thus stranding Voyager . . . . but it's okay to leave the Memorial in place, and even fix it??? Sorry, the show had me hooked right up to that point.

The only thing I can figure, is that highly traumatized people will sometimes make strange decisions, and I can make an allowance for her being in an altered state of mind.

It was fun to see the pre-traumatized crew return, though - what's this, Paris and Torres acting as though they are glad to see each other? And I was LOL at her " . . . and then the Borg attacked, and we all got assimilatd" speech when she couldn't drag Tom away from that old fashioned TV thingy . . . .

IP: Logged
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your explationation for why Janeway left the bouy was right on the money. It was not a logical or consistent action for her to undertake, but she had experienced the events of the masacre as if they were real. Those memories tainted her judgement and caused her to do something that she most likely would not have if she hadn't been subject to the memorial's effects. Obivously those who lived through the real thing, felt that such drastic measures were neccesary to prevent it from happening ever again. Thus those who only experience it as an implanted memory tend to feel the same way.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that was a nice looking planet. But then where'd all the inhabitants go? And about the grass, it could be some type that grows to a certain length.

------------------
"...and if frogs could fly; well we'd still have this problem, but wouldn't it be cool?" - Drew Carey
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps