Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Lieutenant Harry Kim (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Lieutenant Harry Kim
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as how the Borg children feature prominently in a story arc that carries the season right up to the finale, I'd imagine so. Not that you'll actually see them in any episode that isn't about them, of course. Them guest actors are expensive.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What story arc is that Sol?

------------------
"The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park" - Torres
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I heard it is a lose 3-part arc containing the episodes: Collective, Ashes to Ashes and the season finale.

------------------
E-mail Dot at: [email protected]

(-=\V/=-)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
phew! for a moment there I thought the part of Harry Kim was being played by Sammo Hung!

------------------
"What a wonderful and amazing scheme have we here of the magnificent vastness of the Universe! So many Suns, so many Earths...!" - Christian Huygens, New Conjectures Concerning the Planetary Worlds, Their Inhabitants and Productions (ca 1670)

Marko Latin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't Harry get a promotion a long time ago? He didn't mess something up and he was always one of the best officers on the bridge.

------------------
Dream on...in the end...dreams are everything...

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say he messed up in "The Disease".
Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Harry is long overdue for a promotion. He's proved himself dozens of times, but he's still just an ensign! This sucks. Janeway should get off her butt, stop chugging back the coffee and give her crew some appraisal! C'mon people.....Nog went from Ensign to Lieutenant in the blink of an eye. Not even three seasons! Harry should get more respect. He's been so damn funny in the last two seasons, too. My favourite scenes are with him and Tom hamming it up, ex: Turkey Platter. That line was priceless!!
--------------------
"It is offensive, fortunately taste is irrelevant."
-Seven of Nine

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with promotions on Voyager is that they have no one else to go. If Chakotay were a full Commander for instance he couldn't get promoted. Of course he's a Lt.Cmdr so he could at least get promoted once.

------------------
"The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park" - Torres
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last promotion I remember seeing on Voyager was Tuvok. Before that, Paris. Why isn't anyone else being promoted anyway? I've seen about more death scenes and burials than promotions onboard that ship.

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Ensign Rollins from "Caretaker" did reappear as Lieutenant Rollins later on... But that's about the only promotion I've heard of so far.

Timo Saloniemi

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Maquis people really care that much about their exact rank, only the pecking order aboard.

We don't know Chakotay's rank before he quit the service. I assume he was a Commander, but is only "pipped" as a LtComm because that was the rank of his predecessor on Voyager, and it might have been seen as a tad out of line to promote him higher. Who cares anyway?

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Maquis would probably have a beef with Janeway if she arbitrarily demoted Chakotay from Commander to Lt.Cmdr even if there was no need to. Janeway in turn wouldn't be all that interested in voluntarily promoting Chakotay one extra step from his former Starfleet rank unless absolutely necessary. So it seems rather likely that Chakotay really was a Lt.Cmdr in Starfleet, not a full Commander (he might have been a simple Lieutenant or lower, but I sort of doubt that).

And Chuckles strikes me as a guy who wouldn't promote himself to Grand Admiral just because he quit Starfleet and joined a bunch of freedom fighters. He'd probably have insisted on being called by his former Starfleet rank even within the Maquis organization.

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't there a mention of a Lt. Com. that resigned to join the Maquis in "Journey's End" TNG? I think that was intended to be Chakotay. Not canon that it was him, of course, but it fits nicely, and gives us a probible rank.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Timo
Member # 245

In practice, Chakotay might have been intended to be that Lt.Cmdr, but not vice versa. The character of Chakotay probably wasn't really developed yet when "Preemptive Strike" was written, so saying that the episode was covertly introducting him is a bit much - would any episodes of Voyager have been written at that point?

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Preemptive Strike was the next-to-last ep of TNG, meaning it aired seven or eight months before Voy premiered. Surely they'd have had at least a rough character outline by then.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps