Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » To hell with continuity! ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: To hell with continuity! ($$$)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In tonight's opening for "Fury" (very good BTW), Janeway celebrates Tuvok's birthday, saying he's "almost to the big 3-digits". This means Tuvok is less then 100 years old. BUT, looking in the Encyclopedia, we can clearly see Tuvok was born in 2264, which would make him 112 years old. Is this Berman Trek all over again or is Janeway's searching through teraquads of information wrong?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they're counting from a different point, or consider "the big triple digit" to be something other than we do. Maybe Vulcans count age from their first pon-farr. That'd probably be about right. Maybe the Vulcans use base-11 to count age, making 121 the big triple digit. Or Janeway may have just been wrong.

But as for the rest, I do like the way they kept other things accurate. Tuvok was still wearing the Lt. Cmdr. insignia as he was the first season, even though he was a lieutennant then. They finally explained why Samantha Wildman was pregnant for a year and a half. I don't suppose we can use that 57 day figure to figure out when this all supposedly took place in the grand scheme of episodes?

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so pleased with the episode "Fury." It was good to see that Tom had his Lt. rank and Torres had a something similar to her original hairstyle. But I wasn't pleased with the fact that Janeway and Tuvok kept the secret from the rest of the crew. But then again, she didn't trust everyone completely yet.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe she was talking about Vulcan years and they would be longer than Earth years. And she was celebrating his 'Vulcan birthday' and not his standard one. His birthdate would be listed on a personnel record and she could have easily found it. Maybe figuring out his 'real' birthday that was the big deal. And maybe she was just trying to 'protect' the timeline when she decided not to tell anyone. She always seemed to want to keep the timeline 'uncontaminated.'

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps "the big three digits" is different from mere "three digits"?

I mean, every human on Earth supposedly lives to be a hundred years old at least. People still have active military careers at eighty (or lament when a disease prevents them from having one, as in "Too Short a Season"). McCoy is considered old at 140 or so, and O'Brien expresses a wish to die "at 140 in his own bed, surrounded by friends and family" in "To the Death".

It would seem that the age of a hundred years no longer is a milestone of quite the significance it enjoys today. Perhaps humans in the 24th century celebrate their 123rd birthday as "numerologically significant"? That would be absolutely perfect for the needs of this episode!

Of course, there are counterarguments. Despite the extended active lifespans, Bashir still celebrated his thirtieth birthday like a funeral, a transition from "life ahead" to "life behind". So some traditions don't seem to change.

Timo Saloniemi

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe she was just joking about his old age or something.

------------------

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
still, it was nice to Kes again. *sigh*
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was a good show. We need to see Kes again in the series finale. Don't ya think? And it was good to have a scene with both Seven and Kes together and noticing each other. And finally it was good to have Seven even say Kes' name.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't it amazing that even in episodes where the writers/production staff are meticulous about certain details, they still find alot of stuff to really screw up.
359: The only place that I can see that it says that Tuvok was born in 2264 is in the timeline in the end on the Ency. There is no reference as to what episode that was mentioned in under Tuvok's entries. Do you remember what episode that's from? Or is it just Okuda conjecture? Even so, it would still be unlikely that Tuvok is under a 100-he had graduated from the academy and was serving abord the Excelsior by 2293. In order to be under 100, Tuvok would've need to have been born in 2277, which would have made him 16 during "Flashback" and twelve when he graduated the academy (which would work just fine if he were a Klingon).
Another thing I noticed, according to the Encyclopedia, the episode "Revulsion" established that Tuvok and Janeway first met in 2365 (I don't remember the episode, so I am just taking the Encys word for it) which would contradict the episodes assertion that they had known eachother for twenty years.
There was also a reference at the end of the episode saying that Kes had traveled back three years prior (unless I misunderstood). That kind of surprised me- how long the show has been going on is usually the one thing that the writers can get right.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Kes say to Janeway from 2371 that she will leave the ship three years from the date she tried to kill everyone on Voyager?

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuvok gives his age as 23 (I think) in "Flashback" Even if I'm wrong about that, he does give his age and since we know what year ST:6 was set in, we can determine his age. He would already be over 100.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tuvok said his age as of 2293 was 29. But we aren't sure if he meant Earth or Vulcan years. So Janeway's suggestion about Tuvok's age as of "Fury" may still be correct as we don't know if she was suggesting Earth or Vulcan years either. Well, that's my take on things.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't it just make sense that she was talking Vulcan years? I mean, do you celebrate your birthday in Martian years?
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He'd be 112 now based on Flashback info. It is generally assumed that years are universally translated, otherwise we'd have to start questioning Worf's age and that of other aliens also.

Vulcan years may be longer for all we know. The TMP novelization actually says that they are *shorter*, and that 2.8 Earth years = 9 Vulcan years, but then again, who cares about this nowdays.

Boris

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I didn't get the same impression from that scene that the rest of you seem to have gotten. As I saw it, Janeway was making a joke, the same way my father might comment on how close he is to being thirty.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps