Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Yet another question

Author Topic: Yet another question
Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that Intrepid-class' escape pods look so out-of-date, being rectangularlly shaped, but the Steamrunner and Akira's pods so modern?

------------------
The Doctor: "...with my heart, my experiences, and my soul..."
Tincoo (sp): "...I have duplicated that too..."

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Voyager have the hexagonal pods like the Defiant? They just sit behind square-shaped covers. Unlike the Enterprise, Voyager's escape pods don't rest flush with the hull.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And why would triangular pods be more "modern" than square or hexagonal or octagonal ones?

Perhaps it's the E-E and the Akira that have completely outdated and old-fashioned triangular pods, while the Galaxy class has more modern square ones and the Intrepids like Voyager have the even more modern polygons?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's a question of modern vs. outdated. Let's face it, if you're going to stick someone in a box to float in space, it better work!! I think it's more a question of which kind of pod the ship was designed to carry. Remember, the Akira and Steamrunner are both older than the Sovvie. They could have been slightly refit to accomodate "new" pods or the pods could've been around for a while and the Sovvie was designed to carry those type of pods.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the effect escape-pods have on the hull?
Of course you can't bend the rules about how many pods should be on a ship, you must always ensure the safety of the crew, at least on a Starfleet-vessel.
But don't they (the pods) weaken the armor-level in the areas they are installed, putting a chink in the armor?

I think they look bad aesthetically speaking, like acne for starships. It looked disgusting in the escape-pod scene in FC!!

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there's just no set design. Some ships have rectanglar pods, some have trianglar it just depends on what the starship designer decides works best.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sol's right. In the last minute of "Year of Hell", the square latch doors pop open and hexagonal pods come out.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I reckon - that the best explanation for the lower registries, the 'similar' designs/feel and escape pods along with so many ships of the type Steamrunner and Akira, that they had been recently refitted and were undergoing shakedown cruises with in the innercore of the Federation and that they were luckily around to get back to sector OO1 - or maybe they all took off from Utopia Planitia, Copernicus and McKinley stations...

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting difference between Sovereign-style and hexagonal pods is that the former have their own cover (the diamond bottom), while Voyager's and Defiant's hexagonal types require external hatches (either square or some other shape). A damage to the ship's hull automatically damages the diamond pods, while in the case of Voyager and the Defiant, only the exterior hatches would be damaged.

The Defiant pathfinder was designed with Sovereign-style pods which were then replaced with hexagonal pods in the Defiant version, possibly to increase safety. It is also possible that a particular pod type depends on in-built shield strength - ships with stronger shields may not require external hatches.

On the other hand, diamond pods seem easier to deploy - no delays opening the hatches or worrying whether or not they will open at all. The cover also serves as an atmospheric shield, and might allow for a smoother landing (if one were required). There are probably a number of factors to consider in deciding which ship gets which types of pod.

Boris

Saboc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
How many people can ONE escape pod hold? I was just looking the Enterprise-D and noticed that there were only a handful of escape pods while the crew complement is 1012.

------------------
Not only is silence a beautiful noise, it is also the most unavoidable and loudest noise in the universe...

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Escape pods can hold 4 people "comfortably" with room for up to 6 IIRC. The entire crew of the E-D could evacuate using escape pods alone leaving some pods behind. Assuming all the pods used carried 4 people each.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The situation is similar in the case of Voyager. There are 42 six-person pods of the Defiant type, which gives us a maximum capacity of 252 people. They are meant to hold the normal crew complement with some in-built redundancy, just in case there are more people around or some crewmembers cannot run to their designated pods.

Boris

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having the escape pods flush with the hull would seem to raise some serious compatibility issues with the ablative armor, which may explain the switch in the Defiant's design.

------------------
"Oh, it's an anti-anti-WTO song. It's essentially a pro-Starbucks song. I saw this picture of a guy sticking his foot through a plate-glass window in a Starbucks in Seattle, and he was wearing a Nike. Man, couldn't you just change your shoes?"
--
M. Doughty

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps