Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What kinda name is that? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What kinda name is that?
Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now Im watching the DS9 episode "Rejoined" and I got to thinking...what the hell kind of name is Trill for a planet? Its kinda cool for a race but downright silly for a planet. But maybe that's just me.

------------------
"So where are the nuggets on a chicken anyway?"

IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real name of the Trill homeworld is Mordent.

*wonders how many people will get it.*
*wonders how many people think he's just weird.*

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Deep6
Ex-Member

I dont get it, but that dont mean your weird...not for sure anyway

------------------

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*thinks for a bit* *doesn't get it either*

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*rolls eyes and pulls out his copy of Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet*

Okie dokie. A trill is a musical ornament which consists of the rapid alternation of a note with the note one half/whole tone above it. The mordent is the same thing only faster.

A lame joke, I admit.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Latin is a bit rusty, but does mordent mean "they bite"? (If you don't hold the Dax's homeworld in high regard, I guess that's not too weird!)

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, I've missed the deadline for entries, Siegfried!

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Deep6
Ex-Member

Oh! Of course! How could I ever have not gotten that one?

------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

*slaps forehead*

Sorry for the joke. It's that small part of me that is still a music major.

------------------

Feste
Ex-Member

Hmmm. Well, that's okay, I once knew a family of certified geniuses. They all looked like fish, by the way, with enormous exophthalmic eyeballs. They had a joke book for geniuses and the punchline of their favorite joke was, "And the half-life of carbon is 2000 years?" Honestly, they would fall about in hysterics. Two of them eventually went mad.

Also, I hate to nag but what about the flaming Dr. Pepper recipe? It's always wise to know what you're drinking at redneck weddings.

------------------
"'I'm afraid there's nowhere for you to sit,' I said coldly; 'the verandah is full of goats.'" --Saki "The Guests"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some Trills bite, but only if you want them to.

------------------
"According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes."
--
Dr. Leonard H. McCoy

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, Siegfried, I got he joke right away.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morsus is Latin for bite, I should know, I just had my Latin final [shudders].

------------------
"Can't wait to eat that Monkey..."-Abraham Simpson

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't tell you, sir.

------------------
Lancelot: I'll go
Bridgekeeper: Stop! Whosoever crosses this bridge must answer me these questions three, e're the other side he see.
Lancelot: Ask the questions bridgekeeper
Bridgekeeper: What is your name.
Lancelot: I am Lancelot of Camelot.
Bridgekeeper: What is your quest
Lancelot: I seek the holy grail.
Bridgekeeper: What is your favourite colour?
Lancelot: Blue.
Bridgekeeper: Right! Off you go.
Lancelot: Oh, thank you.

(If you don't know, Electric Co.)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's the name for when you're playing the trumpet (or other brass instrument) and you roll your tongue (Like a scottish rough 'R") to make a trilling sound?

Yes, this is real. I used to be a band kid myself, and I know there's a name for it besides "trill," ( at least, my band director said so) but I forget what.

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps