Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Did we ever...

Author Topic: Did we ever...
Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you guys ever discuss why Voyager is always low on power? If so can you let me know what the majority thought. If not I have a possible idea...

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

[This message has been edited by fructose1 (edited June 16, 2000).]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a ship's that low in power, they use up a lot of energy keeping all the lights powered near the windows and by running the holodecks.

------------------
Cigar Girl- "Would you like to check my figures?"

James Bond- "I'm sure that they are very well rounded..."

The World is Not Enough

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall the holodecks run on a seperate power system that has nothing to do with ship power.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess not then. Well, this is what I figure. After looking at the TNG tech manual it says that the Ent-D has 3 years worth of antimatter on it. So I figure that since Voyager is newer and is designed for long missions, it has say ten years available. It was going to take longer than ten years to get home, so they need to conserve it as much as possible and they also need to make some.

Conserving it would be easy. Run the fusion reactors at near 100% all the time and use them to power as much as possible. Then only take as little power as necessary off the warp core to power what the fusion reactors can't handle. I'd say at best they could make it last twice as long that way.

Then you've got to make some. The Ent-D has an antimatter generator on it. It's very energy intensive, but antimatter will get you farther on warp than deuterium on impulse, so it's worth it. But you need deuterium to make it and run the fusion generators, so that's why they are always sucking in deuterium.

Of course in a battle, they power up the core to max and use whatever they need to survive the fight. It seem reasonable to me. Any objections?

As for holodecks and lights, well, you need moral high. Good lighting makes people work better and efficiency is important to saving power. And the holodecks help people have a little fun. That's also important if you want them to work well. But if you took either one away, then people would quickly start to whine, complain, and not work as well, costing more energy and loosing a lot more than if you just kept the lights on and ran the holodecks. And besides, they are coming up with new types of lights that use much less energy than either incandescent or fluorescent light, so I bet by then, they have lights that hardly use any energy at all.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the feeling that the crew looks at it this way. No matter how much energy they conserve, they will never be able to store enough for a seventy year trip. So why not just go ahead and run the ship as usual? It's not like there's that much difference between three years of power and five, or ten. Not when it won't be enough to get you home.

As for antimatter, I get the feeling that Voyager probably trades for it whenever they're in a relatively advanced and populated region. The stuff is a pretty universal fuel, and it would be cheaper to trade several crates of self-sealing stembolts for a pod or two than to expend the energy necessary to make it for themselves.

------------------
"Twentieth century go and sleep.
Really deep. We won't blink
Your eyes are burning holes through me.
I'm not scared I'm outta here.
I'm not scared. I'm outta here.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Please?

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps