Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » 190 meters

Author Topic: 190 meters
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So now the ship is only 190 meters long? (TrekToday).

Now I know why there are only 80+ personnel.

Archer: "It's not how big it is, it's how you use it".
T'Pol: "She lied".

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does this 190 meter length do to the ship? Obviously, that makes it shorter than what we were guessing, but does this make the ship too small for the crew complement? Is it feasible for the ship to really be that small?
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks to be about 2/3 the volume of the TOS NCC-1701. And that ship held 400+ personnel. So I'd say this one could comfortably fit 100 - plus the older systems.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, the bible was most likely written long before the design was finalized. While most of the exterior features would fit 190m at a squeeze, I wouldn't be surprised if the ship did in fact end out being slightly bigger, as things like the turbolift and bridge superstructure indicate.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we will have another scaling problem like the Defiant?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it. They'll probably set a "proper" length once they've checked the model, and Okuda has drawn up planes. In fact, they probably already have.

The Defiant had problems because, for one, it wasn't the "main" series vessel. It was introduced half way through the show. And it seemed to have been designed piecemeal (sp?). I bet the engine room wasn't designed until well into season 3.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the Nova class is a better ship to compare it with. It's rougly equal to the pre-Enterprise in size and amount of crewmembers.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more worried about the 80,000 ton weight. That's roughly on line with the density of today's materials and constructs, but nowhere near what the TOS Enterprise is supposed to weigh - with less than double the volume, she's pushing close to a million tons. Or so Scotty says in "Mudd's Women".

The million-ton figure agrees well with what is given in the DS9 TM, and furthermore is the only canonical reference to starship mass we have. Apparently, nobody asked Sternbach when the Bible was written.

I could live with the realistic instead of the canonical mass figures. Or then I'd speculate that it's the warp coils that weigh so much in the future ships, and NX-01 has something else inside those nacelles - perhaps a spool of wire instead of a series of solid rings?

Timo Saloniemi

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the Enterprise has much smaller nacelles, proportionally, than the Constitution class. That could account for the difference, I think.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps