Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Giving credit

Author Topic: Giving credit
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am giving credit to the creators for not frelling the design history of the Star Trek hand 'gun'.

I was watching "Operation--Annihilate!", and I learned that the phaser had three settings: stun, kill, and a third one. This is between stun (Force One) and Kill (Force Three). I guess this one is Heat.

Knowing this:
2150's
2 settings: Stun and Kill
2260's
3 settings: Stun, (Heat), and Kill
2360's
16 settings

Is there a possibility of there being a phase rifle in the S.S. Enterprise NX-01's armory? I hope so.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is the "heavy stun" setting, specified IIRC at least in "Day of the Dove". It would come between "stun" and "kill", most probably...

There might also be multiple things to be adjusted in a TOS phaser - perhaps "force" is just one of them, while "beam width" clearly seems to be one. You might select several settings within "force one", to produce stun or heat or kill effects depending on how you focus or modulate the beam, and a spectrum of settings within "force three", all of them more powerful than their "force one" equivalents.

In any case, the TOS phasers had those fancy thumb-roll controls that would seem to provide a whole continuum of settings, not just a discrete number of them.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also saw the "Heat" setting in "The Enemy Within." I always thought it'd be really hilarious if Sulu had vapourised those rocks by mistake. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least no one from TOS accidentally used the heat setting against a Klingon or Horat...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I always hated the TNG Phaser Design , I prefer the pistols myself , I always loved that Phaser Pistol from ST 6.

As for the Phase Rifle , I'm hoping they have a Projectile weapon instead , something like the TR - 116 from Ds9 , but of course without the level of advanced tech on it.

Of course they would also need a heavy energy weapon for on ship use , you wouldnt want bullets flying around bouncing off bulkheads and such.

you can read up on the TR-116 at Lee's web site about Phasers and other things that shoot ... things.

http://www.leenet.demon.co.uk/phaser/2370/tr-116.htm

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm... I take it we're deciding to ignore the TNGTM, which, IIRC, shows that "stun", "heat", and "kill" simply describe the effects you get from various numerical settings? I seem to recall that settings 1-3 are "stun" settings, for example.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, but given they're already ignoring everything about TOS, next up they can start ignoring things about TNG. 8)

Kidding. In fact, even the TOS phasers had more than three settings. There was a dial that went up to - memory fails me, maybe Obvychops can dig something up on my site! - 12, or 14, I think. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Nice Redesign by the way Lee

http://www.leenet.demon.co.uk/phaser/2260/type2.htm

The TOS Phaser Pistols seem to have a few dials on them. I'm Guessing one of the Dials Selects "Stun" "Heat" "Kill" and the other selects what power level you want for each setting.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps