Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I am glad to say bye-bye to...

Author Topic: I am glad to say bye-bye to...
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
the slide rule in the new series. I thought the slide rule in the first series was rather silly. (The producers fixed this in the third year with Spock holding a calculator.) This is one bit of continuity I am happy not to see.

A slide rule is seen "Who Mourns for Adonais?".

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see a slide rule stored away somewhere... never know when the power is going to go out and you need a trusty slide rule to calculate how long you have to live.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, TOS showed us (more than the later series) that there are a lot of officers on a ship that have very specific duties (historians and such). I wouldn't be surprised if the ship had a mathematician, who probably knows how to use abaci, slide rules, and differential engines...
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A ship historian to tell the ship craftsman how to build a differential engine so the ship mathematician can have something to use?

I wonder how much a pocket calculator with Indiglo function cost in the 23rd century. Or maybe some bloody alien dampening field can disable that, too. Maybe they should just bring a Vulcan along.

CO: Crank those wheels, Lt! We need that firing solution!

Mathematician: You can't expect me to do 3D spacial geometry with this old piece of #(&%!

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps