Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » How I like my technobabble?

Author Topic: How I like my technobabble?
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the issues that we are addressing with the new series 'Enterprise' is the use and simplicity of technobabble. Below, I have an example of technobabble from an old TOS episode, "Who Mourns for Adonais?", for which I will register the strengths for me of this particular useage.

Spock:We're unable to break loose from this force field, but we might be able to punch holes through it.

Kyle: What for?

Spock: To shoot through. It might also relieve Lieutenant Uhura's communication problems. Take these equations to the nuclear electronics lab. I want them to work on the problem of negating the force field in selected areas. We might generate a strong pinpoint charge of M-rays on some selected wavelenghts and tie them in with the combined output of all engines.

Kyle: Right away, sir.

Strengths
1.) A problem and a solution are addressed. Problem-force field. Solution-charged ray of light to penetrate field.

2.) Teacher and student. Teacher-Spock. Student-Kyle. Kyle is a new bridge officer who is developing the ability to learn and reason scientific problems.

3.) I can visualize the problem and the solution. The dialogue should be the brushes and paints. If the dialogue is simple and clear, I should be able to paint a visual image on a blank canvas.

4.) The entire ship, not the senior members are working to solve this issue. Along with Spock, Uhura, and Sulu, we have Leslie, Kyle, and the team of the nuclear electronics lab working on the problem of the force field.

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all want fries with that, hon? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point, targetemployee, it does seem a bit ridiculous when you have the same characters solving all the problems, especially command personnel, who shouldn't realistically be expected to be fully versed in every area of physics. When you have a starship with what, 30 science personnel, they should be used.

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of the issues that we are addressing with the new series 'Enterprise' is the use and simplicity of technobabble.

The issue I have with technobabble is simply that it is not necessary.TPTB seem to think that, on the one hand, the viewing audience needs some lengthy high-tech bullshit explanation for why things work the way they do. On the other hand however, TPTB take a 180 degree turn and make decisions which truly insult the intelligence of the viewer, like having the Starfleet Command building blown away by the Breen in DS9, only to have it back to normal in Voyager just because they thought the average "dumbshit" Voyager viewer wouldn't get it.

Technobabble is unnecessary, annoying, and unfortunately here to stay, according to Berman.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um...considering the known heights of UFP technology, just how long are you expecting it would take to repair a building and a bridge?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the issue here is the difference between having the characters do something, and having them say how they do it.

TOS: "We have a forcefield problem. We're going to solve it by poking holes in it."

later: "We have a forcefield problem. We're going to solve it by poking holes in it by saturating the deflector dish w/ [particle of the week]s and bombarding the field w/ it."

All the technobabble is is an explanation of what they're doing. Before, they'd just say they were doing it, and we didn't know how. I don't see the big deal.

P0sitr0nic
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Problem is, we all like to disect episodes, and if they just said "we're gonna poke holes in it", we all would pounce on its lack of clarification.

Although some technobabble (like the afore mentioned "particle of the week") is just totally lame and unnecessary.

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another great element of DS9 - technobabble only when neccessary and then at a minimum. Or it as a joke, ie Its In the Cards where the wacko claims to be able to cheat death with a cellular entertainment machine. A key component of which was the hydrosaline solution (otherwise known as salt water).

DS9 always was, as it should be, about the people

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps