Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » continuity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: continuity
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that the Enterprise writers will keep the continuity in check during the series. For example, previous Star Trek series' have already esatblished several events happening in the time frame that Enterpise is set in, like the Earth- Romulan war (alledgedly happen around 2153 or 2158), the founding of Star Fleet and the Federation (2161). TPTB have already detroyed the date of first contact between the Federation and the Klingons was supposedly sometime in 2218, but it will now be set in 2151 or something.
PS: I hope that TPTB will have the Eugenics Wars from the late 20th century mentioned too. (if you are not familiar with the Eugenics Wars, see the TOS episode Space seed or ST II: The Wrath of Khan.)

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have already been through several threads with the topic of continuity with Enterprise. The short answer is that we do not know how the writers will respond to continuity until the series gets going and we can see the style of the writing staff.

Based on the information we have avaliable right now, Enterprise is not violating continuity. The design of the ship itself is causing some ripples in fandom, but this matter is merely opinion. Do you think the ship is from the mid-22nd century or not? Well, considering we know of only one design from that era, it's hard to make the call (in my opinion).

As for the powers that be destroying the date of Klingon first contact, this simply isn't true. In none of the episodes or movies was it said that humans met the Klingons in 2218. We've differing references to stuff, though. McCoy said something about 50 years of hostilities with the Klingons in "Day of the Dove." This is largely backed by Spock in The Undiscovered Country where he says 70 years of hostilities. Picard in the TNG episode of "First Contact" said that Klingon first contact was a disastrous affair that happened centuries ago. It is this comment that specifically refers to first contact and it does not gel with the previous two comments unless the other two were not responding to open hostilities.

The date of 2218 comes from Okuda's chronology. He guessed at this date by using McCoy's line in "Day of the Dove" and ignoring Picard's line in "First Contact." Other chronological references that came out before the Okuda one gave others dates for first contact. But since this was conjecture on Okuda's part and that date has likewise never made it onscreen, it can be easily ignored. When the next edition of the chronology comes out, it will reflect the new date for first contact.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

AAAAAAAAHHH!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you trying to say, Jeff?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's trying to answer conclusively his dentist's question "is it safe?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone noticed that TNG and VOY shuttles with warp nacelles have never actually used warp speed (with the exception of VOY: Macrocosm, although we didn't see the shuttle go to warp) when the situation merited warp speed to travel distances that would take up to six or more hours to travel at impulse, they could be traversed in 1 or 2 hours at low warp. Plus, has anyone actually seen a shuttle's fuel tanks, matter-antimatter reactor or fusion reactor?

--------------------
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've seen the Class 2 Voyager shuttles use warp drive quite a bit. "Threshold" and "The Basics" easily come to mind. So, yeah, we've seen the Voyager shuttles at warp. I don't think we ever saw them in The Next Generation, but in "Samaritan Snare" Wesley makes a comment that either their shuttle is just barely doing warp one or is just barely under warp one.

As far as I know, we've never seen the warp core or fusion reactors of any of the shuttlecraft. However, we have seen the warp core of the runabouts in Deep Space Nine. At least, that's what I think O'Brien was playing around with when he opened the panel in the floor of the cockpit.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The intermix chamber on runabouts are along the spine on top of the ship over the center compartments. It's a horizontal core.

But how did this end up in a thread about the new series' continuity?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a good question...

Anyway, does anyone think that when Picard mentioned the disasterous first contact with the Klingon, he was referring to this pilot?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Well, I doubt that when the script was written the writers were already thinking ahead to Enterprise. However, the events that made it "disastrous" have never been revealed (until September 26, 2001 at least). So now we know, and we can assume that Picard was referring to this incident.

On the other tangent of this thread, I thought that the warp core was below the runabout. If it really is in the upper spine of the craft, then what was in the floor of the cockpit that was accessed by that hatch so many times?

--------------------

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

Well, if the shuttle in Samaritan Snare was doing some where near warp on, we would have seen the stars doing a slower warp effect, instead of them just being stationary with the ship moving at impulse. Also, I have seen schematics of runabouts that have the warp core positioned on the top of the runabout, with the lines from the small matter and antimatter tanks and the main EPS relays the the nacelles.

--------------------
(Bender's head blows up)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the DS9 Technical Manual for the warp propulsion system of a Danuble-class runabout. As for shuttles, good luck.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boldly going off-topic where others have gone off-topic before:

I think there was a total of one reference to a shuttle at warp in TNG, and we never saw that shuttle in flight: in "Skin of Evil", I believe it was mentioned that Shuttle 13 was initially at warp until things started to go haywire. Of course, Shuttle 13 was of a type never seen before or after that episode...

I think the floor hatch the runabout cockpit has been shown open in two episodes only: "Past Prologue", where it gave access to a probe-launching tube through which Tahna Los could eject his bomb, and "Hippocratic Oath", where O'Brien accessed the transporter systems through it. The innards looked different in the two episodes.

Or perhaps there were two different hatches. I seem to remember the "Prologue" hatch was farther forward than the "Oath" one.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the hatch under which the Orion bomb was hidden in the ep where Odo and Quark crashed on that planet? Was that different?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I just thought of that episode, too. What was it called? "Rise" or "Ascend?" Anyway, I had always assumed that there was just the one hatch in the floor of the cockpit. Is it possible that it moved after the free-standing console was added to the cockpit?

Either way, I guess the warp core really isn't under the runabout based on just that episode. A bomb detonating that close to the reactor surely would have breached it instead of just crippling the runabout and prompting the emergency landing.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps