Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Oh. My. Opera. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oh. My. Opera.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russell Watson.

covers.

Rod Stewart.

for.

Enterprise.

Theme.

Weirdest.

News.

Yet.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent.

And I still say "Planet Hell" is the 16th set.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst idea since the American version of Red Dwarf.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. I think the American version of "Men Behaving Badly" was an even worse idea than the American version of "Red Dwarf."

I honestly have nothing much to contribute. I've never heard this song (since I never saw "Patch Adams") but I know that Rod Stewart isn't one of my musical tastes. However, I do know that Russell Watson is a gifted singer. That with (what I hope comes to pass) is an arrangement of the song by the composer-in-residence on Enterprise might be a good combination. Wait and see.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gifted singer" nothing, no-one in this country this side of fifty listens to people like Russell Watson.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, by far the worst thing is the American version of Fawlty Towers. 'Payne' sucks so damn hard!

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, maybe I stand alone on my opinion of Russell Watson's singing abilities. After all, I'm the same person that considers Celine Dion to be a gifted singer and Britney Spears and N'Sync to be talented musical acts.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we all will have to wait and see just how Berman and Braga are modifying the Trek rules.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Siegfried loses 276 trillion respect points.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
N'synch I don't know about as I never listened to them, but Britney Spears - Hmm, yes she's a talent alright....

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Okay, maybe I stand alone on my opinion of Russell Watson's singing abilities. After all, I'm the same person that considers Celine Dion to be a gifted singer and Britney Spears and N'Sync to be talented musical acts.

indeed

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there's a thought. The theme should have been "My Heart Will Go On" covered by Placido Domingo. I know I, for one, fantasize about launching myself into deep space every time I hear it.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not "Beds are Burning" by Midnight Oil?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded Faith of the Heart by Rod Stewart, its actually not that bad of a song, and the lyrics fit Enterprise. I belive its a good choice, since it will probably be a symphonic version.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom reviews...
Faith of the Heart.

So, it was my last day at work today and during a particularly slow period (well, historical research is rarely frantic) I dl'ed, largely to my dismay, a full mp3 of this, erm, song, and transcribed the first two-thirds of the lyrics...

quote:
It's been a long road
Getting from there to here.
It's been a long time
But my time is finally here.
And I can feel a change in the wind right now,
Nothing's in my way.
And they're not going hold me down no more
No they're not going to hold me down.

Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything.
I've got strength of the soul
And no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star.
I've got faith.
I've got faith.
Faith of the heart.

It's been a long night
Trying to find my way
And throught the darkness
Now I've finally had my day
And I will see my dream come alive at last
I will touch the sky
And they're not going hold me down no more
No they're not going to change my mind

Cause I've got faith of the heart
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything.
I can reach any star.
I've got faith.
I've got faith.
Faith of the heart.

And so on.

Anyway, the first consideration is the fact that the song will have to be severely abridged to stick into an intro, unless Mr. Watson sings it Yakko-style. The first verse and chorus is just short of a minute, so let's assume for a minute that's what gets used.

Let's get things out in the open right away. The song sucks. I can take Rod Stewart when he's making a genuine ass of himself ("If you think I'm sexy.") or when the song is so damn catchy it was successfully marketed in a diaper commercial ("Forever Young."). But this is crap... and we all know that when you add one negative number (Stewart's sandpapery vocals) to another (Trite "I believe I can fly" lyrics) you get a bigger one.

But the song is not beyond repair by any means. It just needs to be filletted down to nearly nothing and then repatched and it should do nicely. Of course, when one deals with such significant changes, one can only wonder if it be better to go with something else instead.

Anyway, the lead-in verse is light-years better sounding than the chorus, both in terms of lyrics and music. It is very, very, very Enterprisey as-is, if you take it as a statement about the status of humanity as the series being set when it is and accompany it with the aforementioned historical montage. (It could be immeasurably improved, though, if the lyrics are tweaked so that instead or I/my it was we/our...) On the music side of things, the lead-in is downright listenable, or in other words you don't say "keep this adult easy listening shit away from me" and cover their ears when it begins. If McCarthy us arranging it, I anticipate a more orchestral string sound rather than the present guitar, which ought to work fabulously.

The real vile and putrid pigswill is the chorus. Because, well, what the fuck is "Faith of the Heart," other than a smarmy artificial term pulled out songwriters' aft orifices when composing such songs. Is it self-confidence? Religious feverance? Monkey worship? Michael Bay music video interfering with one's cardiac valves?

So, and this is what I mean about filetting the song, ditch, well, the title line.

Which leaves a rather gaping hole.

Hell if I know how to patch that up.

As for the rest of it? Well, while it reads hokily enough, it's even worse with Stewart crooning it as if the song was meant to be some kind a sincere message to the world. I'm a little unclear whether the hokiness will be a masked somewhat or made even more pronounced by the operatic style... how stuff like "I've got strength of the soul" comes out is crucial. The recurrence of "Faith" is especially irritating, because the lead-in verse is such a close match to the Enterprise premise and we get get "faith" thrown at us which has dick all to do with Star Trek. Are we meant to get the impression Archer's flying his ship to see the galaxy on the seat of his pants because it's his destiny to triumph no matter what the odds?

The melody in the chorus is pretty passable, too, and certainly inferior to the lead-in, but again a bit more texture could vastly improve it. It better.

So, yeah, pretty disappointed, but I can't advocate a "Wait and See" policy for everyone else and not me, so I'll pass final judgement after I've heard the Watson version a few times. must be the
Anyway,

And, FWIW, this my suggestion lyric-wise as it stands presently.

quote:
It's been a long road
Getting from there to here.
It's been a long time
But our time is finally here.
And I can feel a change in the wind right now,
Nothing's in our way.
And they're not going hold us down no more
No they're not going to hold us down.

Cause |||expletive deleted|||
I've got |||expletive deleted||| to believe
I can do anything.
I can reach any star.
I've got |||expletive deleted|||
I've got |||expletive deleted|||
|||expletive deleted|||.

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps