Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Klingon Appearance! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Klingon Appearance!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The names of some of the towns in the general vicinity of Broken Bow are worth a look... Some very weird stuff.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
who does the unglamorous work of building ships and making blood pies

Dennis Bailey ("Tin Man", "First Contact" - the ep, not the movie) pitched a treatment about a ship designed by the Klingons. It was a garbage scow, essentially designed to "clean up" the Empire -- literally. Except the Klingons programmed it a bit too well, and it went off to start a war with the Federation. It was a bit more complex then that, of course, and it wasn't as corny as it sounds ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tis a pity it didn't crash in London. An American Klingon in Cockfosters would have been a brilliant title.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now, my forehead theory :

One upon a time, there were two sub-species of Klingons. The dominant race had ridges on their foreheads. In the other race (a surpressed minority on the Homeworld), the genes responsible for the ridges, were dormant, and so this group of Klingons was distinguished by smooth heads.

Around 2218, an influential family of smooth Klingons seized control of the Empire. A harsh, dictatorial and dis-honourable new government was formed, which fought long wars with the Federation. The Faith of Kahless was outlawed. The smooth Klingons were known to be ferocious killers, completely different from the 24th century honourable warriors.

Ridged Klingons were sent to prison camps. The only hope of survival for them was to alter their appearance. Today, Klingons are reluctant to admit that they once were dishounorable smooth Klingons.

In the late 2260s, the smooth Klingon dictatorship was overthrown. The smooth Klingons were either slain or genetically altered to have ridges. The new ridged Klingon government quickly realized that their relations with the Federation had deteriorated, and was quick to start the negotiations that led to the Khitomer Accords.

And that's about it.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The classic alternative theory: a Klingon is born ridgeless, and his shame over the lack of family ridges fuels his internal furnaces enough to eventually make him Chancellor or other big head honcho. In his reign of terror, he forces his subjects to remove their ridges surgically if they want to remain in his favor. All the important conquest fleet officers and crews are required to undergo the procedure.

Once the flatheaded madman is gone, some people react to their former submissive cowardice with such shame that they immediately restore their ridges, or then commit suicide. Some never changed their ridges in the first place, and can use their stubbornness as leverage for power now that the flathead has been deposed of. In very short order, the society is ridged again, or at least the smoothbrows are in a subjugated position, out of sight.

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better theory.

Klingons genetically altered their foreheads after contact with the Federation. They later realized this was stupid, and stopped.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad they realized it was stupid, because it sounds wicked stupid to me

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still like my theory (gee, what else is new?). The Romulans introduced the Klingons to some sort of genetic disease that caused the ridges to go away (probably among other things). Maybe it didn't actually cause existing ridges to disappear, but children started being born w/o ridges. Later on, the Klingons figured out how to cure themselves, and a way to grow ridges for the ones who didn't have any. Then they retaliated against the Romulans by giving them a disease that caused them to have rdiges, which explains why they changed, also.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though the debilitating bone defects are eliminated (or restored!) after the disease was cured, they still carry it

and it still burns when they pee

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a similar theory, except that the disease was fatal and it was the cure (genetic resequencing) that caused the ridges.

This is, of course, somewhat out of date because we now know that the rumpled foreheads were the original klingon look.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps