Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » S.S. Conestoga & US History (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: S.S. Conestoga & US History
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, there was a brief discussion on the S.S. Conestoga and the origin or meaning of the word "Conestoga". I did some web surfing and happen to find this page.

Conestoga and its Origins

As you can read, or chose not to read, Conestoga is the name of an old city in Pennsylvania. This city, founded by Mennonites, lend its name to a type of wagon. A wagon that would become famous and synmous with the western expansion of a century later.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And people say Brannon and Braga hate TOS.

Gene said he thought of 'Star Trek' as Wagon Train to the Stars ... and now they've named one of the first starships in homage to that.

Kinda cool, really.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please, Jeff.

I hardly think that what they named a hundred year old ship seen only on a computer screen can be unqualifiedly assumed as any sort of tribute to Gene Roddenberry or TOS.

That's a hell of an assumption.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if it is unimportant, why did Target Employee dedicate a thread to it, hmmm? Answer me that.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*snickers*

You make an undeniable argument, Jeff.

*laughs*

(really, I never said it was unimporant, I said that there was no way to find the causal relationship you seem to find so obvious)

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Well, you're obviously not looking in the right place then, are you?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd point out, Jeff, that there isn't a shred of actual logic in your arguement.

Roddenberry called Trek "'Wagon Train' to the stars".
Someone on ENT's staff came up w/ the name "SS Conestoga", a well-known type of covered wagon.
Therefore, Berman and Braga were doing homage to TOS.

By the same "logic", we could, if we wanted to, say:

Brannon Braga is arrogant.
An arrogant person can be called a "bragger".
Therefore, Brannon Braga got his name because "Braga" almost sounds like "bragger".

It just doesn't work.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

SARCASM!

I know OnToMars probably wouldn't understand, but I thought everyone who knows that T.E. (no offense) has a habit of posting the most minutae info.

Get a grip, people.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I wasn't denying that. I was supporting the argument against your assertion that the Conestoga was named after Roddenberry's "Wagon Train" reference.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The name Conestoga only shows that someone made the effort to dig up some rather obscure historical reference.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff's argument is a perfectly valid example of inductive logic, seeking out the most likely reason for this name. And somehow I doubt that the writer was a wagon train fan who just happened to be working on a show named after a bunch of covered wagons...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
?

Star Trek: Donner Party?

"This rack of lamb is delicious, Captain Archer! Where did your chef manage to find lamb this far out?"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now what is that supposed to mean when it's at home?

Perhaps I just don't get the joke. Might be due to the fact that I am German - aren't we well known for our lack of a sense of humor?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
conestoga isn't a particuraly obscure reference in the US. almost every school child in the US learns (or used to learn, school children here don't know anything anymore, unfortunately) of the great conestoga wagons that crossed the US.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

The Donner party got caught in the Rockies ... in winter. They ate themselves. Yummy.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps