Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "We're going to attempt warp while inside the solar system" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "We're going to attempt warp while inside the solar system"
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone remember when Kirk was agonizing about this dangerous decision in TMP? Well then... Why did Archer take his ship to warp less than a minute after leaving spacedock on thrusters?!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Cuz Archer is one bad mothafuc...Shut your mouth! I'm only talkin bout Archer. I can dig it.

Bad writing. Personally, bad writing on the part of TMP. I'm perfectly happy ignoring the thing, and moving on with more pressing issues But then again, I've been taking a more and more liberal approach to weaving everything together.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TMP went pretty weird there anyway, with all that artificial wormhole mumbojumbo.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Everyone remember when Kirk was agonizing about this dangerous decision in TMP? Well then... Why did Archer take his ship to warp less than a minute after leaving spacedock on thrusters?!

I always assumed in TMP it was because the engines were new and completely untested, and Starfleet prefers such tests to be done a wee ways out.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could also be that noone knew of the dangers during Archer's day. Maybe it had never happened before. But, yah...I always assumed it was due to the kind of engines the Enterprise in TMP was using.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BUt the real reason, of course, is that TMP came out in 1977 or whatever, and "Broken Bow" premiered in 2001. All in all, almost a quarter of a century went by between the two, enough time for TPTB to totally forget (or most likely, ignore and care less about) Kirk's throwaway line.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ ARGH!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everybody always feel compelled to point out the fact that Enterprise is a prequel?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...because it is?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the problem was w/ TMP. Ships go to warp inside stellar systems all the time. Every time a ship leaves orbit, they only impulse for a second or so, then warp out. Not nearly enough time to get clear of the entire system first.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kirk took his ship to warp straight out of orbit all the time in the original series. It was The Motion Picture that ignored precedent, not Enterprise--unless, of course, the engine imbalance was reponsible. That's highly likely, since by 2286 a rickety Klingon bird of prey went to warp from inside Earth's atmosphere!

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember the name oif the episode but, didn't a BOP go to warp very near a star during the klingon civil war?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, 'Redemption Pt. 2' ... Worf was serving aboard his brother's ship.

I was never clear if the solar flare which destroyed their two assailants was natural -- and it was just a coinidence that got them -- or if Kurn's BOP engaging the warp drive somehow triggered the flare.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was implied that the flare was caused by the BoP going to warp. That's probably why Kurn headed straight for the star and then immediately warped out.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most likely there are different conditions in these situations.. Kirk could have been concerned about warp since 1) his engines had never been at warp before, and the most populated system in the Federation might not be the place to have something go wrong 2) he didnt feel they were clear of debris or astral bodies that could be bad for them if they hit them and 3)maybe where Kirk was in relation to gravimetric fields was dissimilar to where all the other times were

Considering that they DID have a big problem with the engines and they DID almost hit something it seemed justified. (they never addressed how much the wormhole affected other Sol System traffic.. i cant imagine theyd be happy with it)

And most of the other times there just wasnt a concern about ecological effect on the space and there werent any obstacles like asteroid belts or oort clouds that were big concerns.

Oh, and ST:IV.. warp in atmosphere? Crack smokers! WTF ??? i say we write that one off..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps