Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » 'Silent Enemy' (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 'Silent Enemy'
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one has started a topic on 'Silent Enemy' unless I overlooked it.

Wasn't bad, in fact the only thing I didn't like about it was we didn't get to see Jupiter Station.

The aliens were... very alien. Though their motives for attacking Enterprise were not made clear which I also didn't like.

But for those wanting background info on other characters, this one has plenty on Malcolm Reed.

What we learn, there's a starship Shenendoah commanded by Captain Duvall. Whether it's one of the NX-class ships mentioned in 'Forunate Son' is unclear. It also shows a crew member from another Starfleet vessel with a different uniform patch. I wish I could take screen caps.

Finally the Phase Cannons debut, Enterprise has 3; 2 forward, 1 aft. They fire in beams, not pulses and when a supercharged overload blast fires... damn does it do a lot of damage.

BTW, please don't bitch at me for not putting "$$$" in the topic title. I used an episode title and if you don't recognize it odds are you haven't seen it. Common sense alone should let you know it contains spoilers. Something you should be prepared for when entering an Enterprise forum anyway.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really easier to type a paragraph explaining your decision not to put spoiler warnings ... or easier to just type three '$' in the title?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Quiggie
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
That was in my opinion the best Enterprise episode so far.

I have one question: The Vulcans have not encountered that race (at least according to Tpal) so that would imply that they are a new race which has just obtianed warp capability recently. If they've just discovered warp, how can they already be so advanced?

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, no, it implies that they're not "from around here."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has "Sleeping Dogs" already aired or is this the first new ep since the winter rerun hiatus. I've seen threads about "Sleeping Dogs" and have avoided them but I haven't seen the episode. Did I miss something?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sleeping Dogs airs in two weeks, but some fairly sizable snippets from the script have been online for some time now.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was quite a good episode, providing you overlooked a few "suspension of disbelief" items that occurred so frequently in Voyager.

I liked how the phase cannons emerged from the hull from hatches. In the tiny screencap I saw before the episode aired, it looked like the beams were just shooting out of two random holes in the hull, when in actuality that wasn't the case. I also liked how the cannons were put together with nuts & bolts.

The chemistry of the crew is growing on me.

Reed's parents were much less annoying than Bashir's parents.

Finally! Aliens who are truly "alien," not just humanoids with forehead bump makeup and who speak English. I think that keeping the aliens' motives a mystery was actually a good choice. (Sorry Hobbes)

I also liked Archer's admittance that rushing out of Spacedock before the ship was ready wasn't the best thing to do, even though the ends justified the means. Plus the fact that he at least realizes that space is more dangerous than he first anticipated, and that Enterprise wasn't the bad-ass ship he thought it would be.

The way Malcolm's friend's arm was positioned, it was almost impossible to see if the patch showed a ship. It had some kind of design, though.

"Sleeping Dogs" has not aired yet.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Is it really easier to type a paragraph explaining your decision not to put spoiler warnings ... or easier to just type three '$' in the title?

Well I figured someone would have said something about it, as it happened to me before here when I used an episode title for a thread title. This time I have my reason ahead of time says I should put $$$ in this title.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Uh, no, it implies that they're not "from around here."

and what you just said means that Vulcan hasn't encountered them, if they're not around "there" it means that vulcans hasn't seen them therefore the person your post was talking to was right and as were you, you're just rephrasing it. (I just HAVE to make things complicated don't I? [Smile] )

I liked this episode, although somethings weren't really explained, and I would really like to know if they ever really "stabilized" the cannon so it would shoot out the same amount of power as it would when it is overloaded.

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Seven,

?

I responded to this post:

quote:
so that would imply that they are a new race which has just obtianed warp capability recently. If they've just discovered warp, how can they already be so advanced?
The point of my post was that nothing in the episode implied what Quiggle thought they implied.

What was the point of your post? I forgot.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that when Enterprise returns to the Sol Sector that it will be fixed to fire the same way minus the overload.

The episode was good, except that the aliens looked like the ones from Mars Attacks.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't returning to Sol now that they installed the cannons themselves. They fixed the initial problem, and the only reason the cannons overloaded later was because they wanted them to.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Quiggie
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
That's probably right. Or maybe, the Vulcans have encountered that race before, only T'pal doesn't know about it. T'pal isn't a very high-ranking Vulcan so the Vulcan Command probably wouldn't tell her everything.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it matters what T'Pal knows, whoever she might be. However, what T'Pol knows is another matter entirely...
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the aliens. They were definately different. I think they must have an aquatic evolutionary history judging from their appearence and the suit they wore. It reminded me of those diver suits they used to wear.

If you look at them you can clearly see they're wearing some kind of containment suit and their appearence resembles a cuddlefish or some kind of soft-shelled ocean animal. At least I think so.

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: TLE ]

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps