Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Aniara NX-103

Author Topic: Aniara NX-103
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
This ship has been suggested to be one of the four NX Class ships. Enterprise NX-01 is a ship of this class.

The word Aniara is of Swedish origin and is found in the epic sci-fi poem 'Aniara' of Harry Martinson, a Swedish proletarian writer. This story, written in 1953, relates the tale of a 'ark' sent from a dying Earth to Mars. Along the flight path, the 'ark' Aniara suffers a mishap and the doomed ship travels out of the solar system.

In 1958, an European opera house writes and perfoms an opera based on this poem.

In 1965, and resurrected in 1975, the Aniara, a sci-fi club, operates out of the university in Oslo, Norway.

The pure car/truck carrier M/S Avesta is renamed the M/S Aniara in 1983, six years after H. Martinson died. Two years later, a freighter of Liberian registry is commissioned with the name Aniara.

Couple of photos:

Wallenius Lines' Aniara

Liberian Aniara

[ February 07, 2002, 06:09: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A) This didn't need its own thread. Why do you consistently do this? It's most annoying.

B) You're being far too anal about this. You (& others) evidently don't know how the garage model industry works. I shall enlighten.

Modelers don't like not having a choice. This is made evident by the very existence of the garage industry. One of the biggest thing is decals. Custom decals abound, with various offerings from even more various sources. The trend of late is, when a new garage kit is made or an old one remastered & re-released, there are many, many decals packaged with each kit for much, much detail.

One type of the many, many decals is to have many, many names & numbers. These can be canon ones & they can be non-canon ones. Sometimes they mix. There's really no guidelines save the personal tastes of the decal sheet designer. The names are there to give you extra choices. That's all. There's no "statement" intended, no "inner insights" known by the designer. They just chose cool names. Shenandoah is there (albeit misspelled) because of the mention on the show; it's just conjecture. Notice that 2 ships are named after shuttles? No rhyme or reason. They could've been named after battles or cities. It's just random choice.

Unnecessary multiplication of entities. Quit it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Shik,

I like to include real world information in a discussion. This is a far more fun exercise than attempting to answer silly questions about fictional starships. If you don't like what I am doing, than please by all means avoid my topics. That's all. [Smile]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These facts are interesting although rather irrelevant, for the reasons Shik advances; however, he's right to say this doesn't justify its own thread when there's a perfectly good one about this model kit elsewhere. You don't NEED to start a new thread every time you put a word into a search engine, Colin. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, he's a Colin? That explains it all, then.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's even better is that you started a new thread to reiterate what you'd already posted in the other thread.

if (thread.has_point() == false)
   thread.close();

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps