Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The Braga Strikes back (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Braga Strikes back
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two points, Andrew: First of all, there's been incessant whining every time we see a new alien species as well. The producers are in a damned-if-the-do, damned-if-they-don't situation with aliens. Which is unfortunate, really.

Secondly, DS9's first season's been rerunning on latenight TV here recently, and I'm sorry, but the execution was really quite shaky back then. "Dax," for instance, really doesn't hold up at all when seen retrospectively. It's ploddingly slow, begins with three minutes of pure technobabble, and goes through one of Trek's worst coutroom drama routines that's been handily eclipsed a million times both within and outside of Trek. Dax is relegated to spending the entire episode pouting, and aside from Odo, the entire cast seems to be really lost in their roles.

[ April 17, 2002, 18:24: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah there were some real CLUNKERS in Season 1 - I've gone from LOATHING Move Along Home to just smiling and remembering it fondly ;o)

Maybe it was Odo and Tandro's wife (Fionula Flannagan?) which made me like the episode...

When I watched DS9 season 1 for the first time - I was blown away - I guess we were spoiled with BETTER and BETTER DS9 over the years... anyway - compare it to Enterprises first episodes - DS9 wins hands down...

Emissary compared to Broken Bow HUH!
Captive Pursuit
A Man Alone
Babel (for a bottle ep is great)
The one with the Bajoran resistance fighter still fighting... yeah the middle of the season is a bit flat... but then we get a GREAT ending to season 1 - and this you can't denie - The Forsaken one of Lwaxana's - if not the best (OK Dark Page was great) the fun Dramatis Personae, then the BRILLIANT "Duet" and "In the Hands of the Prophets" is one of the best - and is a brilliant move into season 2.

Move Along Home
The Passenger (some of it was OK - mostly the bits with Kaitlyn Brown SP? Ty Kjada)
The Storyteller
If Wishes were Horses
Yeah ok Dax plodded - as I said it was the Odo story line that did it.

Weren't great

Eps that were great that I forgot to comment on -

Maybe it's the little things but "Battle Lines" was amazing - mainly the Kira/Opaka story line
and so was Progress - you have to watch it a few times - and yeah it plods a little too but it's still good.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that Flanagan boosted "Dax." Pity she was onscreen for all of three minutes.

Great actress. Waking Ned Devine rules.

And she'll be on Enterprise in four weeks time as a Vulcan.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know when a episode sucks and thats when I don't want to watch it a second time even though it might be the only good thing on TV. So far I find Enterprise to be good, compared to TNG, VOY and DS9. Because I can't watch those episodes without losing much interest.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
I agree that Flanagan boosted "Dax." Pity she was onscreen for all of three minutes.

Great actress. Waking Ned Devine rules.

And she'll be on Enterprise in four weeks time as a Vulcan.

WOOHOO! That's great news... thanks!

That's her third role... the actress with the most Trek roles?? Is that her or someone else? Sussana Thompson?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Suzanna Thompson has had 4 roles (Varel in TNG's The Next Phase, an asylum inmate in TNG's Frame of Mind, and then as Lenara Kahn and the Borg Queen)

More obviously, Majel Barrett has had 4 roles (Number One, Chapel, Lwaxana and the Computer Voice) plus a pile of voice work from TAS.

Annette Helde has also done 4 minorish roles (Karina in DS9's Visionary, a guard in ST:FC, Takar in VGR's Scientific Method, and Nadia Larkin in DS9's Siege of AR-558)

I know these things. By heart. Seriously... [Wink]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And there's Barbara Babcock, who had seven different roles, all in TOS. But five of them were just voices. But, then, if Majel Barrett's computer voices count...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm a bit late here, but still...

quote:
The questionable role model of Captain Archer who is full of prejudices, who never never listens to anyone else, who frequently makes wrong decisions, never needs to face consequences and is even proud about that is still another annoyance. Well, at least he fits into the series premise, but that doesn't make his character a good captain.
So, er, he's a lot like Sisko then?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Honestly, what is it with the idea that it isn't good Star Trek unless the main character always makes the right decision?

I'm sure, for examples sake, NYPD Blue and The West Wing would be the opposite of compelling if Sipowicz and Bartlet, respectively, were written by Roddenberry circa 1987.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps