Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » (Potential $$$) "Vox Sola"

Author Topic: (Potential $$$) "Vox Sola"
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else think this was a very well-executed episode? Great direction, strong acting, and a welcome change of pace with the score, I thought. There wasn't a whole lot to the plot, but something felt "right." I enjoyed seeing the crew just being real people most of the time, something that hasn't been seen enough recently. I don't think "Vox Sola" was a fantastic episode by any stretch of the imagination, but I think if they took the good aspects of it and applied those to more episodes Enterprise would improve quite a bit.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I haven't been able to catch a lot of episodes recently..... Why can't wives operate a VCR.... or leave on alone once programed???

anyway, I thought it was a so-so episode, although it didn't have the spark that others have had....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

I liked it. Lots of Hoshi v T'Pol, and maybe a little more understanding between them now. Is good to see characters grow. I don't think the effects were all that good, but I've seen worse. The scenes of the creature crawing through the ship were probably the best shows. The worst was the "hanging there" scenes. That came off a bit cheesey.

[Cool]

[ May 03, 2002, 10:27: Message edited by: Kosh ]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big problem for me in this episode was that there was absolutely no suspense. I knew right from the start that they'd find a way to communicate with the creature and save everyone (except maybe one of the redshirts). Therefore, most of the conflict and drama, like Hoshi struggling to understand the alien's language or Lt. "Gun Nut" Reed wanting to blow the whole thing up, was wasted on a problem with a totally obvious conclusion.

There were several good scenes in the show, though. Most especially the Reed/Phlox scene -- it was very nice to see a very valid conflict of wills there. Very well done by both actors.

The T'Pol/Hoshi interaction was almost painful for me to watch, on the other hand. And I know exactly why: because Jolene Blalock's "Vulcan" acting is downright horrible. Every time she tries to look/sound logical and unemotional, she gets this kind of sneer on her face, and she comes across as condescending, even if her tone is relatively conciliatory. It irritates me to no end.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it would have been a bit more interesting if they could have used Phlox as the hero in this episode. He could have found out in the course of his investigation that not only can the crewmembers within the web communicate with each other but if they concentrate very hard on the alien they can communicate with it--- and it would have been even better if the last conscious crewmember in the web was Tucker, which would bring in a "human struggle" standpoint to the episode...

But of course, this is what I predicted at the beginning of the episode would happen... I didn't think Hoshi would find a way to talk with it--- and I figured that any attempt Reed would make at getting the crew out would kill the crew too.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can usually predict at the beginning of every episode that the main cast will be alive, and no serious damage will be done to the ship.

Wow.

I'm so cool.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Ryan, I haven't seen you in while. Where have you been hiding out? [Wink]

I think that "Vox Sola" was a decent episode overall. I agree with you that the episode was executed very well; I think the pacing and the directing is some of the best I've seen this season. The story overall didn't bog down anywhere, and I think that the acting was pretty good for much of the cast.

I think it was pretty cool to see Archer and Tucker watching water polo, eating pretzels, and drinking beer. I liked the scene where Phlox and Reed butted heads in sickbay. It came out solid, but I am a bit disappointed that Reed didn't try overruling Phlox since he isn't a Starfleet officer. Since he has always seemed to be a civilian doctor to me, I would think that Reed could have easily kicked him out of sickbay for a while. But, at least this way it shows that Reed is open to the possibilities of non-violent alternatives to dire situations.

What bothered me about this episode is the relationship between Hoshi and T'Pol. In "Sleeping Dogs," it seemed as if they were on their way to forming a friendship. Here, it looked like they were adversaries again. I think T'Pol's dialogue should have been toned down. She seemed unnecessarily harsh towards Hoshi. It also seemed like a lot of the "humanizing" T'Pol had been exhibiting during this season was overlooked.

All in all, I liked the episode. I think the writers stumbled on the Hoshi/T'Pol relationship, but they did a good job with Archer/Tucker and a fair job with Reed/Phlox. I agree that the strengths of this episode should be cultivated so that the next season has more solid episodes.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for all you know, maybe Sato said something to piss off T'Pol a couple days before the episode, and therefore they weren't on very good terms that week, or something.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*really liked the Hoshi-T'Pol scenes*

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MinutiaeMan: Agree on the T'Pol thing. She does get this face when she's being logical. Glad someone else notices it.

IMHO, it was a decent ep. Definitely had the "miscommunication" theme going, though, which has been done, but is something Star Trek does well.

Dude, they have sex with their mouths???? I was laughing my ass off.

[ May 05, 2002, 13:37: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I gathered is that eating was like sex... done in private, usually, with someone special....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking at it now.. Those Cusakians (or whatever) look very good.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kreetassans it is.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps