Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » porthos....boy or girl? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: porthos....boy or girl?
TorgaDaxIV
Member # 617

- posted      Profile for TorgaDaxIV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this may seem like a stupid question........i am wondering if porthos is a boy or girl....i have been studying beagles alot lately because i am going to get one in the very near future.....although his name is porthos on enterprise, it kind of looks like a girl to me, just because of the color shapes. knowing me, im, probably wrong. does anyone know the definite answer?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"C'mere boy," I believe Archer has been heard to say. I think.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe Torga is referring to the sex the dog actually is, not the sex the dog is represented to be on Enterprise.

I mean, we could have the case of Spot -- first a he, then a she ...

[Smile]

Torga, I'm sure there's a site out there somewhere that can tell you what sex the dog portraying Porthos actually is.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following in the footsteps of other notable screen animals (Lassie, Babe), Porthos is genderbent. The "character" is male, the "actors" (there're two, apparently, in accordance with the Olsen school of job-sharing) are female.

[ May 28, 2002, 17:20: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's really a girl!?! (The actor?) So do male and female beagles look very different!?!

He's sooo cute. THE best character on Enterprise. Next to Hoshi.

Hoshi
Porthos
Phlox
T'Pol
Mayweather
Archer
Tucker
Reed

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with The_Tom barring any onscreen....err...sitings to the contrary. They usually use female animals even when the "character" is supposed to be male. It may sort of kill whatever import the scene is supposed to have to see the dog's dangling unmentionable flopping to and fro.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell the difference. When males are nutured (spl?), they look just like females who are also nutured(spl?).

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you know animals you notice the difference in facial bone structure, body language and physical proportions. Not at all unlike humans, except we, as humans, dont really notice as much, since telling each other's sex among other humans runs more as an instinctual process for us.

I think that, besides the fear of visible genitalia on screen, female animals are chosen because they are easier of temper when trained and more cooperative that most male animals, who run high in the instinct department, even when neutered.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"When males are nutured (spl?), they look just like females who are also nutured(spl?)."

Not that you could tell the difference on a female, anyway, unless there's a scar.

But the male still looks different from the female. It has something to do w/ that penis hanging down between its legs...

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i didnt feel like explaining it to him either

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Actually, if you know animals you notice the difference in facial bone
structure"

You mean if you know a particular BREED and/or SPECIES of animal well... I knew my dog, but we only had the one - so I really couldn't go around comparing and contrasting. Plus some breeds and/or species don't have very great distinctions between gender.

And about everything above, I'm NOT talking genitalia *sigh* ;o)

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked the old joke

Do you know the difference between a male fruit fly and a female fruit fly?

No

Well good thing you are not a fruit fly.

Seeing that the name Porthos is male i would assume the character is male.
I am sure if you watched the closing credits there is some reference to the animal handlers and they probably have a site where you can look up whether the "actor" is amle or female.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... that last time I checked when my male dogs got nutured, they have their penises cut off, along with their balls. Females have their entire system removed.

That's why I can't tell the difference.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

capped
Member # 709

because most of the neutering i have read about involves the removal of the testicles (balls, in your terminology) and tying off the spermatic cord (undoubtedly referred to as the 'ball-hanging-thingy' by non-vets). The procedure is sometimes called 'altering' or 'castration.' i'm unclear if this is a variant procedure, but even the sites i read where it was referred to as castration still stated that only the testes were removed, leaving the penis untouched. indeed, any disruption of the urethra is to be avoided, its a major complication to accidentally affect the urethra, which should be untouched during the procedure for fear of damaging it and causing infections. of course, the animal's penis will be much less noticable, not really becoming erect as often and no longer spewing forth oderific territory markings on demand. and the testes aren't 'cut off' so extremely.. they are simply removed from the scrotum, which for simplicity's sake is left on the animal. some well to do dogs even receive prosthetic testicles to maintain their appearance

[ May 30, 2002, 08:07: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i found a Porthos web site and it seems to have alot of what you want to know...the funny thing is though is that all i had to do was google and type enterprise porthos and there was this site...didn't you try looking for it first?

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps