Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ - "Precious Cargo" - $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ - "Precious Cargo" - $$$
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.trektoday.com/news/041002_01.shtml

My first thought: Could these be the Tellarites!?

The names sound pretty Tellarite-ish to me, and they've already been mentioned as trades twice in Enterprise. The warp two reference perhaps doesn't fit very well, although it IS a very small cargo vessel (it fits in the cargo bay.. can you even fly a vessel directly into the cargo bay!?).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A beautiful women in stasis? Two traders with suspicious motives? A small ship able to fit in a cargo bay? Women traveling between two systems?

Hmm...are these elements taken from the episode "The Perfect Mate" (TNG)?

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
Hmm...are these elements taken from the episode "The Perfect Mate" (TNG)?

probably.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the woman travelling from one planet to another was lifted from "Elaan of Troyius", if that's how you want to look at it.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, more ammunition for the hypothesis that Mr. Berman and Mr. Braga are out of ideas... [Frown]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps, there ARE no more ideas for Star Trek as a whole...perhaps an inevitable result after several hundred hours of entertainment, political correctness, and a dramatically and creatively restrictive premise.

The question the producers must ask is, "Would creative and risky new ideas bring in more money?" After seeing the results of taking risks (Farscape and Babylon 5) and their own results of pandering to the lowest common denominator, the powers that be, have obviously answered an emphatic "No."

But go ahead, blame a few scapegoats, its much easier [Smile]

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
there are still plenty of ideas! maybe they could come in contact with this cyborg race of people who absorb the technological and biological individuality of all the species they come in contact.........oh.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, people traveling from place to place who are not what they appear to be. I never want to see such a story again! Also, stories about "people" who "do things" = played out, my friends. LAME.

quote:
After seeing the results of taking risks (Farscape and Babylon 5)
Early cancellation?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Babylon 5 wasn't cancelled early - it was always planned to be a 5 year show. Mind you, it was almost cancelled after season 4, which is why Sleeping in Light was filmed then, and why Ivanova is in the episode and there's no mention of Lochley.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its syndication company gave it the boot.

But I was thinking more of Crusade, really, or Legends of the Rangers.

(And I like Babylon 5. Mostly. Not perhaps with a white hot intensity, but I could tell you who is who.)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh, and what I originally came in here for: I suspect if this episode contained Tellarites that this fact would be broadcast loudly, as it was for the Andorians.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^Unlikely, actually, as this is most likely coming from a script excerpt where the species of these trader guys mightn't have even come up. Considering it hasn't begun filming yet, it's quite reasonable for there to be no word from Paramount as to what's in it of interest to the fans.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

What I was getting at, I think, was that it is more likely that the Tellarite makeup would be designed first, and then an episode written to accommodate it. I think "TOS ALIENS SHOW UP AGAIN!" is too good a promotional opportunity for them to pass up.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tellarites: the other white meat.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

There are spoiler warnings here, so consider yourself forewarned.

Anyway, the aliens doing the piloting are "Retellians" which I presume is new, and the woman, oddly enough, is "Tiburrian." Now, I don't have my copy of the encyclopedia handy, but aren't Tiburrians what they call folks from Tiburon, which happens to be where future leader of the Space Hippy movement Dr. Sevrin hails from? A TOS reference, all right, but perhaps even more obscure than the Tellarites. (To be fair, one showed up in DS9 too, with an appropriately updated look [Not just weird ears, but spikes too! Hooray?])

But, on the other hand, I could be wrong, and, come to think of it, probably am.

http://www.startrek.com/production/seriesv/articles/102202.asp

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps