Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$$$AIDS$$$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$$$AIDS$$$$$
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are Star Trek fan groups in Calgary?

Back to Moose Jaw, then.

Also:

Futurama Guy's reaction to Psyliam is priceless. You'd think someone who watches Futurama'd have a better grip on sarcasm and/or wit.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not sure how to take that; I love you too, I guess? [Confused] I am not familiar with this characteristic you call "scarcasm", but I sure as hell thought that that was what I was conveying from the start.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's some sort of sarcasm and/or wit confusion thing going on here...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
So, did they say where the disease came from? Did someone mind-meld w/ a monkey?

is this supposed to be a virus virus? I'm trying to ponder how a virus would be transmitted through mind-meld only, and not through the normal routes. unless its something thats only called a virus, like the thing in 'Flashback' or the thing in 'The Naked Now' where the writers are too stupid to know what a real virus is compared the The Thing They Need to Advance Their Precious Yet Stupid Plot.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it isn't capable of generating antigravity like "Macrocosm".
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair the Macrocosm virii make a buzzing sound like wings... [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have'ny seen that one myself, but anything that stupid had to come from Voyager: home of the Transwarp Lizard.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. And Berman's wondering what's wrong with Trek [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I bet the nature of T'Pol's illness is at the very heart of it!

I watched, say, 20 minutes of this episode thanks to class + roommate + American Idol. But my impression was that T'Pol's problem had to do with her neurochemistry being all messed up as a result of the mind meld. Information can be a virus too, you know.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...but the file read " I love you".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Information can be a virus too, you know.

well, actually.. hm

'virus' in the traditional sense would be a self-replicating DNA strand in a protein sheath or somewhat, a physical object. i realize that now, we have computer viruses which are self-replicating information.. and that 'flashback' originated the idea of a thought virus, a self replicating telepathic contact which was passed infecting person to person, but the flaw i'm pointing out is that the writers of Trek can't be bothered to know either definition and use the term virus to describe anything 'which makes bad things happen inside people' .. their ignorance of basic cellular chemistry has been showcased a few times before, makes me wonder why they even bother to hire a science advisor.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they actually use the term "virus"? I didn't pay enough attention. They called it by name ("xxxx Syndrome"), and "the disease" (like the constant silly-sounding references to "The Minority"), but I don't recall if "virus" was said.

[ February 10, 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

capped
Member # 709

ok, i've seen the term here.. understand my only exposure to ENT is through this board, i don't actually watch it (ran out of tinfoil and antennas for UPN reception) so when people here were using the term virus i was wondering if it was the writers being dunderheaded, or just not being explained right to me. (did they explain what the disease was, or just kinda leave it at 'its bad and its like AIDS, ok, so shut up and let us sledge this allegory into your skull'
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has Bakula had anything to say regarding this? How about for the rest of the Enterprise series, wasnt he supposed to have a heavy say in the direction which the series went? I havent heard much from him lately with regards to the series and his promotion of it as much as he did the first season.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched it tonight...I have to say I was more intrigued by the B-plot than the AIDS allegory, although Phlox's lie of omission & T'Pol's attempted martyrdom was interesating. Man, those Denobulan smiles are FREAKY! I allus figgered that it was just Phlox that smiled like that...but DAYUM. They's ALL like dat!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps