Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » ($$$) Too bad he won't be staying there... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ($$$) Too bad he won't be staying there...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems as if the "Enterprise" writers are saving their originality for sweeps, and resorting to ripoffs for everything else.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/220203_03.shtml

First, the NX-01 does "Lights of Zetar." I can hardly wait for yet another episode where the crew get to exhibit submerged tendencies and extreme behavior. Anyone wanna cast bets on which two crewmembers are going to be taken over by romantically-attached spirits?

Then, the Klingons sentence a captain of the Enterprise to life at Rura Penthe. It's a shame we know he'll be out of there by the end of the hour -- if he even makes it there in the first place. And Archer's too much of a weenie to get in a fight with a blue proto-Jem'Hadar... [Wink]

Can you tell I'm bitter after hearing the news about the Borg? Just when I was thinking that "Enterprise" was finally coming into its own...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, I am superjazzed for "Judgement," and have been since I found out about it. The Klingon courtroom has been home to one of my favorite Star Trek scenes ever, so perhaps I am blinded.

And there was such a wealth of disembodied aliens in TOS that I'm sure someone out there has an argument about the relative absence of any in Enterprise being a continuity violation.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, Im not so much 'superjazzed' about it, because i am suspicous. Yes suspicious, those TPTB guys are playing us, viewers, as dummies and I dont like it, not one bit!

"Hey guys, lets make another Klingon episode and here's the clincher....it'll contain elements and characters from Star Trek that the fans already know!!"

If you ask me, and I know everyone here is dying to hear me out, those mofo's are taking this too far!

It is one thing in a prequel such as Enterprise to establish a race like the Andorians or the Vulcans or the Klingons...but an individual??...a specific individual to a family 8 other episodes have been written to include...is simply ludicrous! Lets talk about more interesting things, not sucker punch fans with an episode which potentially establishs why some family in the Klingon empire went bad.

Personally I think they play us for foo's by throwing in those two elements to make us think that this will be a good episode. With the exception of the pilot, they havent done shit for the Klingons yet, except write shit for the Klingons (see eps #5, 14, 32). They did it with the Romulans and the Ferengi, and soon the Borg, who says sucker punching us with "Rura Penthe" and "Duras" will make it any better?

Now, unless they plan to use this to explain the Duras families early tie-ins with the Romulans to explain the pointy nacelles I see no point to single out a family in the empire to doop us into thinking it will be a good episode. The same can be said with why they are intent on digging up the Rura Penthe tomb again. Not once, outside TUC is it mentioned, seems awefully suspicious to me, unless they are playing us for fools!!!!

Afterall, we should have seen this coming with the Worf-tangent foreshadowing in TUC, they prequeled Lt. Worf with Col. Worf by 100 years, why not prequel Duras another 100?? Hell, whynot put both of them in an episode and start up another new "Worf-Duras" bloodfeud. I mean, grandpa Worf has to be about the right age to be on Enterprise, you know B&B will do it...why?? Because they think of us as suckers!!! Its all a vicious cycle.

PS I don't really intend to judge the episode until I see it, nonetheless I am just a little suspicous of what they are throwing in the episodes as "key words" as a way to target the wayward fan. I think if that is the game they want to play...at least do it AFTER a good Klingon episode and not one like that crappy Marauders one they showed a few weeks back.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to confess I do not understand your rant, sir. Unless the description of the episode has changed since last I looked, that one of the Klingon's is named Duras is not meant to "draw you in" or treat you as "a sucker." It's just a guy named Duras, no doubt meant to show that the House of Duras had a long history in the Empire, which only makes sense, since if they were a more minor entity their fall would not have been so devestating politically.

I suppose people are conflating this with the Borg issue, but that seems very unfair to me. Isn't this the sort of thing people wanted in a prequel. "Oh no, they have sent Kirk to Rura Penthe! It is a prison with a long and unhappy history." Well, I mean, now they are following through.

In my opinion, when it comes to handling previously known species, Enterprise has had more hits than misses.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
...they havent done shit for the Klingons yet, except write shit for the Klingons (see eps #5, 14, 32).

Fry: You forgot episode 27.

Melvar: I was getting to that!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except for these Klingons not looking like TOS Klingons, I was of the opinion that they did a reasonably good job on them. They're a lot ruder than their 24th century counterparts.

This is all ignoring the fact that there shouldn't be any Klingons at all in this series, of course.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we are getting two prison episodes this year?
Next week, or this week really, is "Canamar", and later this year we get to see the Klingon prison.
Like Sol, I look forward to the trial, to see if they can do it half as well as they did it in the movie. But I would think that one "They get thrown in prison" episode per season would be enough.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
This is all ignoring the fact that there shouldn't be any Klingons at all in this series, of course.

Bullshit.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

Bullshit.
Agreed. (With The_Tom, that is.)

Harry, there's nothing canonical that ever suggested first contact with the Klingons took place later than the 2150s.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I third that motion. The 2218 figure (or whatever) for first contact with the Klingons was never ever stated anywhere. All that we know is that there was a disastrous first contact and that by TOS/TOS-Movie there had been 50 years of hostility with the Klingons.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
[qb] ...they havent done shit for the Klingons yet, except write shit for the Klingons (see eps #5, 14, 32).

Fry: You forgot episode 27.
And what, pray tell, am I missing in episode 27? there are no Klingons in "Shockwave".

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you hear a whizzing sound??

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank god that TNG never showed any pre-23rd century Klingons with ridges, eh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i still think that genetic manipulation that was a part of the suliban's part in the temporal cold war gave certain klingons the ability to alter their facial structures... kang, kor and koloth, for example..
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I still prefer the "they had ridges all along, we just had shit TV reception." Fucking Trails & Tribble-ations...

Futurama Guy: I was referencing some stupid TV show. You might not have ever seen it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps