Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Berman doesn't get it. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Berman doesn't get it.
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Having the most powerful race since the Borg turn up and start blowing things up was definitely a massive shake up, and a distict alteration from the original premise.

Except that I believe there's a memo from Berman to Piller, before the show started, stating that the bad guys must come from beyond the wormhole.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid you're going to have to be more specific. "The bad guys" could have meant anything from an evil unstoppable empire to a space going version of my ass.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should read the DS9 Companion, then. There are a few very good interviews in that book, and Ira Behr described how they started planning the organization of the Dominion at the beginning of Season Two.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't stop them from being a massive shake-up of the original premise, far more than the Borg were in TNG. The happy drones were in a handful of episodes, and when they weren't there, the show functioned the same as if they hadn't existed.

The Dominion became irrevocably intwinded with the DS9 story, a story which they were not originally conceived as being in when the show was created. Therefore, "massive shake-up".

And making sure the bad guys came from the Gamma Quadrant would have made sense anyway, otherwise the Wormhole concept would have been next to useless. TPTB didn't have an overwhelming need to follow that idea though, considering that the Klingons and Cardassians were also used as bad guys, and they were firmly Alpha Quadrant rooted.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Dominion became irrevocably intwinded with the DS9 story, a story which they were not originally conceived as being in when the show was created. Therefore, "massive shake-up".

Ahhhh, but DS9 never FORGOT what it was from Emissary onwards. So they introduced new baddies - TNG intro'd the Borg and Cardies and Q - didn't stop it from sticking to what it was - it's premise.

DS9 stuck through all seven seasons guarding the wormhole from various threats. Exploring what they could of the GQ. Exploring Bajoran Political and Religious themes. Dealing with continual threts due to the unique nature of the only stable wormhole on their doorstep. DS9 might have had a clone or a Klingon or two extra around in later seasons, but it was still doing strong what it had been doing since 'Emissary'. Unlike Voyager which lost it's way after Caretaker and then REALLY lost it in season 2/3 It was like a reset button at the beginning of each season.

So along comes Enterprise - and for the first two years it has a core mission. Then along comes Berman who wants to Retool the show and push it in directions that go against the original idea for the show and it's previosly established two years of episodes.

What was that Plan B that Paramount had up heir sleeves incase Enterpise didn't workin the first few episode. It supposedly allowed use of the sets etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
What was that Plan B that Paramount had up heir sleeves incase Enterpise didn't workin the first few episode. It supposedly allowed use of the sets etc.

It was a false rumor.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have missed more eps than I've watched, but it ENT doesn't have that 'spark' that finally caught my interest in TNG, after 2 years on the air. When I do catch an ep I feel like I am watching a TNG ep again, which I find to be boring, so I have only finished about half the eps I have caught.

I don't know if this is because the writing is not so good, or I am getting better at seeing where the plotline goes and what they will do. The one ep name I can think of was "Communicator", which I thought was a pretty good ep, and since I can't remember the names of any of the others, I guess it was the only one I really liked. Even the future guy ep where they end up in the future seemed, well, out there.

I am curious though, would the series be better if continutity was followed exactly? Yes, as far as sticking to the 'future' eps, but would it really be interesting?

What would a good story line be for a new Trek ep? We've explored strange new worlds, dealt with local galactic politics, met superbeings, been flung across the galaxy, and back in one case, had a galactic war, and all that, so, what would is there that would catch your individual interests now, after seeing what has been done with ENT?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps